Sending my baby to a new home.

AdiosCowboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
I had a small flock of three chickens for almost three years. At the end of June, I lost one of my girls to a still unknown respiratory problems. The other hens were a bit thrown by this loss, but adapted (probably better than I did). Suddenly last Thursday I lost one of my other girls to egg yolk peritonitis. With only one (depressed and confused) chicken left and moving for college, last weekend I gave my last baby to a family friend who has a flock of 17 hens and 2 roosters, as well as a few goats and two daughters in 4H. I know she will be well-cared for there, with plenty of room in a large coop and a lot of ground inside an enclosed pen. She seemed shy and scared when she got there, which is to be expected since it's a new place, none of her old flock is there, and she hasn't been around that many chickens since she was a week old. Yesterday I got a text and a picture from her new owner to let me know that she is doing fine and the other chickens just take the newcomer in stride, but she stays in the coop most of the time and only comes out into the yard early in the morning.

I know this is a small thing, but I would really appreciate some reassurance that Ursula can adapt to this new environment and be a happy healthy chicken in her new home. Even if I can no longer care for her, I still worry about her. Thank you.

You did the right thing for her. She will adapt.

Sorry for the loss of your other girls.
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear your story, I have no experience with this kind of thing but wanted to chime in and say good job for making a hard decision! I'm sure she'll snap out of it and move on soon:)

she will be fine......i had to give away my favorite chicken who sat on my lap and was the most friendly of all when she turned out to be a rooster!!!....
i just would not believe she was a rooster!!!.......well i just went back to the farm i gave him too....he is fine and happy!...he came over to see me...i picked him
up and gave him a pet!...then he went back to run with his other chicken friends!...your chicken will be fine...im sure of it!....i know you still worry....because i did
the same thing!!!

Back
Top Bottom