sending them out?

I did once, my DH didn't want to do it with me, big mistake, will never do it again, but the guy we went to is the only one on this side of the state and he knows it and takes advantage of that fact. he was very expensive $ 2.50 a bird, and you paid extra for any innards

I haul my birds to a local processor. They process the birds for $2.50ea and I've been very happy with them. I get them back shrink wrapped and frozen.
You might try an internet search for processors in your area. It took me some asking around to find the people I use, and I still have to haul the birds about 40 miles to get them there, (for me it's worth it).
Another place to check is if you have a local University Extension service.
Good luck.

Quote:
Considering I paid $23 for an organic-killed-yesterday-chicken at the farmer's market last week, $2.50 sounds like a bargain!

Unfortunately no one in the family's going to help me with this, and I'm not sure I have what it takes to do it myself. I'm just afraid that Los Angeles County is the wrong place to go looking for a poultry processor. I may need to stick to layers.

The secret is to find someone near you to help.

I use to pay for processing. But since I found someone who also only raises < 50 it is really fun to get together with our families and have a morning of processing. Then... the cooler comes out and the fun really begins
lol.png

The first two or three aren't that easy but it gets easy. It just takes a lot longer to do the first two but after you learn it gets faster.

There are Amish about forty minutes away from me that charge $1.25/bird (no bagging). I have friends that use them. I am going to take my meaties to a processor about an hour and 15 minutes away. They charge $1.45/bird and it will take them an hour (so I can wait). These guys came recommeded by another friend. He'd used to Amish once. He didn't like that you had to drive back and forth three times (they do not have telephones -- so to make an appointment, then take the chickens up there, and then pick them up the next day). I'd try calling local processors. Even if they don't do chickens ask if they know someone who does. Ask your local grain elevator also.

I found the plucking goes pretty quick if you use a 1/2 inch drive belt from a tiller or snowblower. It works like a scraping tool. Make a loop with it and it combs the feathers rite out(after scaulding). The worst part is cleaning up the feathers that missed the garbage can.

Back
Top Bottom