Sensitive Public Situation..... How would you handle????

Quote:
It also seems there is no way to stop it. How many horses has your state lost? I am almost afraid to check in the morning.

I don't know how many we have lost. We have never been into the show circuit. It gets mentioned on the radio once in a while. My DW follows it a lot closer than I do.

I have been following it because we recently rehomed two Mustangs to a couple we THOUGHT were perfect. Turns out they illegally boarded them with two other VERY sick horses, and then the people that transported them stole them. I told the sheriff, if the transport people took them, then they belong to them as far as I am concerned. I am just praying they are not sick now.

Do you have to do brand inspections ? Out here all hoses have to be inspected and they keep track of who owns what You can't move a horse or cow without a brand inspection. Of course it's just for people trying to sell stolen horses or cattle. They don't inspect vaccination records.

After reading the link provided - I don't think the OP has a choice - you need to ask the woman in question not to attend. It freaked me out so badly - I not sure I'd expose my horse to any other horses - it's a shame - but I'm not sure I'd take the risk. Good luck I hope things get better in the horse world soon.

You might want to cancel the show all together. (?)

Last edited:
I would think having her come to the show, even without horses, would still risk transmission. Unless you can hose her down with bleach or Lysol.... biosecurity, ya know.

I am in AZ and most if not all horse activities have been canceled. Most local boarding places are not taking in new horses in my city. There is a significant dormant period for this and there is no cure or vaccination, our vet told us a horse could be dead within 10 days of contracting. It is highly transmittable so I would politely inform her of the situation and not allow her to attend PERIOD! I am surprised they are allowing horses to cross state lines at this point, we were told we could not transport our horse through Colorado and other states were following suit, not sure about the facts but we decided it was not worth the risk for our beloved equine. Off to go read more updated information.....

Quote:
Karen I believe that is not up to date, as it shows the 5 confirmed from last week, but not the 75 I read about yesterday. I think it was yesterday.... For CA that is.

The best thing you can do is not allow her to bring any horses. She of course would be welcome, but not the horses.

I heard people can give it too horses too but horses can't give it to people. Not sure if true just what I heard from someone.

Back
Top Bottom