Sensitive Public Situation..... How would you handle????

Quote:
The guy she buys from, is well known around here, at the Auction Houses, he is less than honest so I am sure even if there are restrictions on hauling horses, he has some underhanded way of getting around it, maybe he has a holding area in a state without restrictions or something.

But yes, I have to ask her not to attend the show, I am certain I will be the talked about, but honestly, I am doing what I must do.

There are wild horses in California, Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Washington state, Arizona and Utah that I know of and it will be interesting to see what happens when it gets to them. The big fear is the way it is transmitted. A disease that runs it's cycle quickly is easier to control but if it is transmitted easily then that complicates things.

Quote:
The current EH1V is horrible. Any horses that have attended any shows in areas where the virus has been confirmed should not be allowed to attend. Any horses that have attended cutting horse events should not be allowed to attend (that is where the current outbreak is prevalent). I would suggest contacting your horse vetrinarian and voicing your concerns, then ask his/her opinion. And/or your state vet.

Quote:
This disease is a real concern. Last week the state vet spoke to a packed crowd at a local equine vetrinarian's facilities. Yes, the media has blown it out of proportion--there are far less diagnosed and ill horses than is being reported in the media. HOWEVER, it is a real concern. Practice biosecurity. Hey; we're chicken folks, we already know what all that entails! There is no verification as to whether this is or is not a new strain. Lots of speculation, but not solid facts. A booster vaccine is definitely called for. It may not PREVENT all illness, but should the horse become infected, the course of the illness will be much less severe.

First symptoms are a spike in the horse's temperature.

Quote:
We have a fairly large equine community here and they are just dropping. I can't even remember the name of this illness, but it is spreading rampantly.

Some kind of immune disorder. They call it equine herpes. First it's west nile disease. Now herpes? naturally it's not at all related to the human version.

A neurological form of EHV-1 (Equine Herpesvirus). As of last week, there was speculation, but no certainty as to whether it was a different strain of the virus, or not.

Quote:
Karen I believe that is not up to date, as it shows the 5 confirmed from last week, but not the 75 I read about yesterday. I think it was yesterday.... For CA that is.

The best thing you can do is not allow her to bring any horses. She of course would be welcome, but not the horses.

I heard people can give it too horses too but horses can't give it to people. Not sure if true just what I heard from someone.

The virus can be SPREAD by people who have been in contact with horses who are ill and physically "carry" the germs, say by the ill horse sneezing or coughing onto you. If a healthy horse then nuzzles you right where the germs are...bingo, you may have just infected the horse. No, people cannot be carriers as in ther sneezing or coughing could pass it to a horse.

I have friends that left to haul down and back right as this was made public. They have avoided the Billings Sale, regardless of the orders they had from locals due to this mess. The only horses they are bringing up are from remote areas and no show or rodeo animals. Lord if it got to Alaska it would be a nightmare! We have so many rideas and such that people haul from all over the state to attend. It could wipe out the entire state in a season.

I want to correct Debi, please ask the women to not come herself as well. This can be spread SUPER easily by humans, I have asked all my coworkers to refrain from going on nearby ranches and not to pet any horses. I told them they risk Swingers life
wink.png

When my barn up north got strangles, I didn't go to anyones barn and let me polo coach know I wouldn't be practicing for awhile.

WOW, this all sounds pretty darn scary. I am not a horse person, and I know nothing about horses. That said, I would think if there is any risk of this then the entire show should just be cancelled. Why take a chance? If this person is a "member," does she not have the right to attend? I would think as a member of any club you should be allowed the same as everyone else.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom