Sensitive subject...culling :(

I agree with Just4. A well placed bullet is best for the animal. It's just very hard on the person. I believe there is less stress on the bird than any other method. No captivity, no stress, just one instant during its normal routine and it's over. But, again, it's hard on the person. You have to make your choices.
It helps to have someone unattached to the creature to be willing to do the deed.

Quote:
I THINK THE ETHER FLUID AND THE SUFFOCATION IS NOT THE MORE HUMANE WAY...YOU CAN TAKE A SYRINGE AND GIVE 1-2 CC'S OF LUQUID BENADRYL IN THE MOUTH AND ALLOW IT TO PUT CHICKEN TO SLEEP, SOMETIMES THIS ALONE WILL END THEIR LIFE, IF NOT , THEY ARE ASLEEP AND RELAXED AND THEN USE AN AX TO CHOP HEAD OFF QUICKLY AS THE COMMENTER ABOVE SUGGESTED, THIS IS QUICK AND THERE IS NO GASPING FOR AIR OR FLOPPING AROUND TRYING TO GET AIR AND OUT OF A CAN.

Last edited:
I think giving Benadryl is a very humane way to deal with the slaughtering of a chicken. If I ever come to that I'll try it.

Unless they have an adverse reaction to the Benadryl and it causes them to become agitated and distressed, which is a distinct possibility.

I've often wondered if there should be sticky about this very thing that one could direct people to who are looking into owning chickens. This seems to happen quite frequently on here....sick birds that need the hand of mercy and people who do not have the will, heart, or whatever to do the deed.

It should be stressed to these people, before they ever contemplate getting chickens, that chickens are not exactly like other pets. You may have to kill one to end suffering caused by disease, animal attack or reproductive problems.

It is a part of any responsible pet ownership to be able to care for your animals if they are suffering, be it with vet care or at home. Why is it that so many are unprepared and have no idea how they will handle it when the day actually comes? Is it because that part of this whole forum is like the elephant in the room....no one wants to address the death of these animals except in reference to meat chickens?

I think there should be a sticky with methods of humane killing for people to reference and they should be directed to it when they first start asking questions about owning chickens.

I wholehartedly agree!!! Before I got chickens, I did think of this issue and I thought a vet would take care of this. However, after reading so many posts I didn't go through that route when the time came to put down our first chicken. As I mentioned before, a friend of mine did it by cutting off her head. I wish I had known better even though I think this way was more humane than others, but this still carries some stress and violence
sad.png

I'd love to learn more about slaughtering chickens in the most humane way possible so I can make a better informed decision next time.

CO poisoning: Quiet, painless, lethal, relatively fast. 1 large cardboard box with a lid or flaps that will close easily, section of dryer exhaust flex pipe. cut a tight fitting hole in box, insert one end of dryer vent flex pipe and the other end slide onto automobile exhaust pipe. The birds basically fall asleep and never wake up. Do this procedure outside and not inside a garage or building.

I am certianly guilty...I never thought of what I would do when(notice I did not say if...) the day came when I would be faced with this. I never thought it would be this soon...thought I had more time to figure it out. I knew we wanted chickens and knew they would simply be pets once their laying years were over so culling for lack of egg laying was not an issue, nor were we going to breed so that sort of culling was not an issue either...I simply figured we would be burying chickens who died of natural causes...

I definitely agree with the sticky...with DETAILED directions on various humane ways of ending a chicken's life. I know several people looking to get into chickens who will be exactly in the place I was if they had to cull. I know now, that I will be heading up the road to ask my neighbor to do-the-deed when I am in this situation again. Hubby and I both know we are not able to break necks or cut off heads. However, I certianly do not want an animal to needlessly suffer, and though my birds did not appear to suffer with the ether, I don't know that it was the best way. It was the best way at the time...but as I am learning more, next time my choice will be different, I think.

Quote:
i,ve used the benadryl twice and neither had agitation or distress. just went to sleep. can't say anything further other than my own observation. once tried the ether and i could not stand to hear the chicken gasping to breathe and kicking around in the bucket and i took it out and my husband who is as kind hearted as i did sever with sharp ax the head and ended the suffering immediately.

Back
Top Bottom