Sensitive subject...culling :(

Quote:
Amen!
thumbsup.gif

We had one rooster who grew up with the rest of our birds from day old chicks. They all get handled, picked up and so on but unfortunately this one rooster was very mean and very aggressive, attacking anyone, it came to the point where we felt he would hurt somebody . Our friend who is a self sustaining farmer came over one afternoon, picked him up by the legs before the rooster even realized someone had approached him, tucked him under his arm and snapped his neck. Took all of 10 seconds. Yes there were the after tremors but the bird did not suffer. We love our small flock of laying hens, and our current rooster - all have names and are tame and sweet. However, it is my responsibility to learn this necessary end as I have chickens - I am thankful to know someone who is kind enough to care for all of his many animals and be willing to teach others the same.

Quote:
If you are going to go with CO2 I would recommend getting dry ice. It will do the same thing. Just make sure that the bird can not get to the ice. I have used the vinegar/baking soda before, and it does work. But if you do not add the vinegar slowly at first it will burn the animals lungs and cause distress to that animal. I am sorry you need to put your pets down, it is hard, but it is part of having animals and taking care of them. What it really comes down to is what is best for that animal, even if it is hard for you.

If I'm not killing/culling for processing and just have to kill one bird, I would choose breaking the neck. It's quick if done correctly and the most humane if one were not going to cut the throat. I've had neck breaking/wringing the neck go seriously awry but it was done in a hurry and not done properly at that time.

All these elaborate preparations, boxes, racks, thingamajigs are just not necessary and makes this chore a big deal when it doesn't have to be.

I'm curious...Why would one cut the throat at processing rather than beheading?
Isn't that a slower death for the chicken? I understand it can be less messy because cones are used.

Well, it really depends on your method of beheading. Since I use a killing cone to hold my chickens while I dispatch and to keep them from flopping around and making a mess, I would have to behead with my old tree loppers~not humane.
sickbyc.gif

If I were killing on an old stump with a hatchet or axe, then beheading would be the quickest and most humane.

With the loppers, there is a certain amount of tissue that would be compressed very painfully before the actually slice would cut through the chicken's entire neck/spine. I wouldn't do that.

Slicing the neck is not necessarily slower than beheading and it's very hard to gauge the actual time of death for both methods. This has been debated quite hotly in the past but it's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

And, for the record, slower doesn't equal less humane...pain and stress measures the humanity of it. If the death is slow but less traumatic, stressful or painful than a quicker method, it could be argued that it is more humane.

I remember watching my mother butchering chickens when I was little. She used an axe just like we do and she always always held the chicken til it was motionless. I asked her once why and her reply was so it won't be bruised when I cook or bake it. So if one is culled around here with an axe it's held.

Beekissed

I have to agree with your comments on responsible ownership - it is for us to help our chickens or any of our animals who are suffering to end their life, hard as it may seem.

I personally cannot bear to see any of my animals suffering so euthanasia ( whichever way anyone chooses ) is the final kind deed we can give to our loyal animals and yes we must help them, however we may personally feel about our own emotions ( selfish of us but we have all been there ) we must never lose sight of the fact that we have to act in a manner that is in the best interests of the animal concerned.

Featherz

You mentioned about the "humane dispatcher" from England - we have one here in France (we use it whenever needs must) it is O.K. but of course the bird does still twitch for a time so you do have to hold it tight! The advantage is that you can hold and cuddle the bird in your arms restfully and it is not stressed - the dispatcher is like a guillotine but it does not cut the head off of the bird - death is instant but as for any of the other methods mentioned it is not pleasant for the handler - BUT it is perhaps better for the chicken!

Who knows what is best?

Sorry for all of us that have to go through this, and for those who yet have to face this prospect - please think of the chicken first and not your emotions.

Suzie

hit.gif
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom