Sensitive subject...culling :(

"I wanted the gentlest way possible as to not traumatize my kids(or myself)"
Unfortunately, the fastest and least painful way to do this for your chicken is not probably going to be the easiest for you. Animals move after they die. It's what they do. That's more traumatizing to us as people than it is to the chicken. I'd say, make yourself some killing cones, so that they are calm and still, and to minimize the thrashing, and use the tree trimmers. It's the quickest way for the bird, the most fool proof way for you, and your kids shouldn't be there if you don't want them to see it. I've seen people use old milk jugs with the tops cut a little more open and the bottoms cut out as an inexpensive killing cone. You really need to research this. Most other ways, (and the alternatives here that are "less graphic") are not as fool proof. Personally, I want the way that is most sure to result in swift death, with instant unconsciousness. This is a tough thing to do. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. I've only had to cull twice.

Call your nearest pound. They can euthanize. They give them a shot and they go to sleep. There is usually a general charge for this but I doubt it will be as much as a vet charges. Best of luck and sorry about your birds and what you are going through.

Most vets have a less expensive 'small animal' fee for euthanizing that they use for rats, GPs, bunnies, chickens ect. I would expect 5-10$. Take the birds home afterwards for burial, then there will be no body care fee. Call around and ask for the euthanasia fees for a chicken specifically. They can use gas anesthesia in a plastic cage followed by an injection once unconcious- this is very quiet and calm for the chicken (I have seen this done many times). Alternatively- an injection can be done into the abdomen/coelom, or IV- but the chicken needs to be held still for this.

If you plan to do any thing at home- unless under anesthesia, all chickens will have full body spasms at the time of death (think of the quote- running around like a chicken with it's head cut off-- they really can do this)--- this can be very traumatic for someone (or kids) seeing this and not understanding what they are looking at. It looks scary and looks like they are feeling pain, as they flap and move their legs. I would not have kids around.

I also highly recommend looking into sending a bird into the state lab to be tested- find out if this is Marek's or not. You need to know for the rest of your flock, as well as for the future of any bird you may want to bring in in the future. Where are you located?

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I am most likely going to do the ether method, as we have diethel. I cannot bring myself to do any of the other options, though I was told by a local friend who grew up with chickens it is the quickest to behead...I can't. I have heard that the ether is the equivalant of the *shot* at the vet. I am pretty sure it is Marek's, they have the classic symptoms, are the right age and nothing else I investigated fit. They are sadly textbook cases
sad.png
We live in a pretty yuppie area and most of the vets around here are not really people I would thnk of to call...the nearest chicken friendly vet is well over an hour away and for something I can do at home...I will do it here and pray for the best.

I ended up doing the ether...it was not fast, but it was peaceful and I knew exactly when they died. I will say, I may get a large sealable container and do the baking soda method though if there is a next time...

Very sorry for your loss. You are a very brave chicken mom for releasing them from their discomfort.

As a child, my family raised chickens for eggs and food. The most humane method I know of is either the axe and block (we didn't have "killing cones") along with a small "V" like projection to position the head, or "wring the neck". Both of these methods will quickly and humanely kill a chicken. If you've never done it, it's excruciatingly hard. As was stated earlier, the body will move quite a bit, and if you're not used to it, it seems grisly. Hopefully, you won't need to, but if in the future you do, you could try asking a friend, family member, or neighbor (familiar with these methods) to do this for you. To me, it is the most humane way to do it.

I wish you didn't have to go through this, though. I wish it could be different. I wish they could live forever. Hugs to you for being strong and courageous for your flock.

Sorry for your loss.

I made a CO2 (vinegar and baking soda) chamber to euthanize a tumor-riddled guinea pig I had last year. I used a tub about 2 cu. ft. in size. The guinea pig took a very long time to die. I kept piping more and more CO2 into the chamber, but he did not die for over an hour. Now, he was unconscious the whole time, so he didn't suffer, but it was agonizing for us waiting for him to die. I have not recommended this method since using it myself and figuring out it's down sides.

Back
Top Bottom