Sentimental About your Roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drdoolittle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Hey, is there anyone else out there who gets ridiculously attached to their roos? I have four roos (a barred rock, a leghorn, a barred rock cross, and an EE). I am going to have to get rid of 3 of them-----they are getting along with each other o.k. (just minor skirmish now and then), but they are messing up my hens backs! I'm keeping the EE rooster just because I like him the best personality-wise. But I feel sad that the others are going to go----they are unique individuals, also. Just wondered if anyone else felt like this about their roos. I would keep them, but hubby would have to build another pen/coop, and I know he wouldn't want to nor would I expect it of him after all he's done in the respect this summer. Plus, he thinks we should only have one roo as they don't "pay" for their keep in eggs![​IMG] Here are pics. of the boys who must go:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Nope.... [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes - I love my roos.

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Actually, I do know what you mean. I have only one roo, and am doing my best to keep it that way, because I realize just how much I like roos. I really prefer him to the hen we currently have. Of course, she has not give me an egg yet, either. LOL More hens are one the way, I will only end up with more roos if there is a sexing mistake. I hope to keep my little guy.

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I am very attached to my roos. They are the ones that get named and have the most personality at my house. Except for my d'uccle girls, they are so sweet!

6. Stranazingarella

Stranazingarella Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    I had to get rid of 2 roos because they were not being nice to hens and the hubby was driven crazy by the three different crows. I currently have two I am very attached to: Sir Beaumont and Tristan, both Banties.

Sir Beaumont is allowed to free range with his lady hen duriing the day since they both have coughs I can't cure. At night they are put in a separate hutch. He is quite the character and follows my husband and I around the yard. He is sooo curious about anything we are doing . He even has his own 'throne' he likes to perch on and survey his underlings. . . hahaha!

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I do.....I got horribly attached to my giant buff cochin, Dot. Was broken hearted the day he had to go. NOW, I refuse to name them. Instead I give them a #. Course, that doesn't help either. Roosters rock, even when they are ornery old codgers.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    No, it's not just you--I love my roos! [​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader