Separate incubator and hatcher?

happydog

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Western NC
I'm buying an incubator (Genesis 1588 with automatic turner!
big_smile.png
) but in reading this forum it looks like it'd be good to have a separate unit for hatching? That's so you can keep adding eggs to the incubator and when it gets to lockdown you take them out and put them in the hatcher and keep adding to the incubator, right?

I'm mainly wanting to hatch eggs from my own birds who are just giving me a few every day. So I don't have a lot all at once.

I can get a cheapy LG for around $35 on craigslist. Would that work as a hatcher? If not what is a good thing to use as a hatcher?

Any tips or info you'd care to share would be appreciated, thanks!

The LG might work as a hatcher.

Hatching time is critical. Can you hold temp and control humidity in the LG? We have done OK with one, although not nearly as good as our other options.

Good luck with your hatches.

Quote:
What would be a better option? It took me a while to rationalize spending $200 on the incubator, it's a bit disheartening to find out I still need to buy something else. Thanks!

Well, we have 4 incubators.

We usually hatch in the sportsmans hatching tray.

If you can stand it, save up your eggs for a week, set them, and let them go all the way to hatch in the 1588.

When you get to day 15 or so, start saving for the next batch.

Unless you constantly want to be setting eggs, there is no reason to have 2 bators. The Genesis is awesome, just take out the turner on day 18, fill up the second tray and sit back and watch, I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom