Chickens do not respond to or understand this concept. It is for toddlers.

Your cockerel is much closer in age to the pullets. The reason he was more respectful to the older hens is because they made him be respectful. The pullets are too young for his attention. I would simply keep him isolated within sight and hearing of the hens & pullets for a few weeks until the pullets start laying. Then they will be ready for him and you can let him back out.
He does not need to be permanently isolated from the flock. He is very young and needs to learn all his rooster skills and that can only be done with practice because there is no senior rooster to learn from example.
I know they don't respond to time out. It was supposed to be funny.

Thank you for the rest of the advice. I have separated my run to give him a place. If he doesn't get a new home he can stay stay there until it gets colder and then I'll try him with the girls again.

I wish I could keep the younger ones separate longer. But they're 17 weeks and almost to the point of lay and I don't have a whole separate coop for them with nesting boxes and a run. Some of them (Sapphire Gem & Sapphire Olive Egger) are almost the same size as the older hens (wyandottes, Orpingtons, Jersey Giant) but the Easter eggers and speckled Sussex are smaller and sweet very docile. It's a cluster. Lol
I was reading this...I have 2 Silkie Roosters for 2 years separated from my hens. I only have a few hens so I was afraid they will start to fight if they have sex. Both still virgins haha When I got the silkies they were supposed to be hens and turned out to be both roosters. They are the sweetest little guys, cuddle up under my chin. The hens flirt around their coop....then they squabble a bit. My three hens are the sweetest also. I'm not sure if it's bad?? The roosters can't do their job of protecting but even from their separate coop they cause ruckus if a hawk is in a nearby tree or something is up.

Sometimes our older roosters chase the hens even though they've been with the hens for over a year. I think they do that when they get impatient to mate, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back
Top Bottom