ChickChick2121

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Has anyone ever kept a rooster completely separate from the hens? I introduced a 20 week old black Australorp rooster to my 8- 4 yo hens and he was doing great. It's been about a month he's been with them. Usually does the kittle wing dance for them to "ask permission". I have been introducing my 9- 17 week old hens to the flock gradually. Look-no-touch for a week. I had them all together today. He was going pretty good this morning while he and the hens could come and go free ranging and the littles stayed very close to the coop/run. When they were all in this evening I was hearing sounds like he was hurting the littles. When. I went out he was just chasing them around jumping on them without caution and being an ass. So he's in timeout in a cage in the coop.

My question is has anyone ever has a separate small coop for just a rooster by himself? My concern is he's too young and immature to be a good rooster to them yet. I can't get anyone to take him. Ilive in New York State near Canada so it gets pretty cold in the winter. Any advice?

It takes more than a week to integrate a flock. You should keep him with the older hens only till the juvenile birds are close to the size of an adult hen. Then reintroduce them with the young rooster.

You would need to use Craigslist or Fb or put a poster at your local farm store. If you want to rehome him.

My pullets are penned up until they start laying (close to the same size as the hens)but my cockerels are with the rest of my flock. I separated them from the pullets they were raised with at 12 weeks old.Most people separate them when they're younger (I waited too long)

It takes more than a week to integrate a flock. You should keep him with the older hens only till the juvenile birds are close to the size of an adult hen. Then reintroduce them with the young rooster.

You would need to use Craigslist or Fb or put a poster at your local farm store. If you want to rehome him.
I wish I could keep the younger ones separate longer. But they're 17 weeks and almost to the point of lay and I don't have a whole separate coop for them with nesting boxes and a run. Some of them (Sapphire Gem & Sapphire Olive Egger) are almost the same size as the older hens (wyandottes, Orpingtons, Jersey Giant) but the Easter eggers and speckled Sussex are smaller and sweet very docile. It's a cluster. Lol

Has anyone ever kept a rooster completely separate from the hens? I introduced a 20 week old black Australorp rooster to my 8- 4 yo hens and he was doing great. It's been about a month he's been with them. Usually does the kittle wing dance for them to "ask permission". I have been introducing my 9- 17 week old hens to the flock gradually. Look-no-touch for a week. I had them all together today. He was going pretty good this morning while he and the hens could come and go free ranging and the littles stayed very close to the coop/run. When they were all in this evening I was hearing sounds like he was hurting the littles. When. I went out he was just chasing them around jumping on them without caution and being an ass. So he's in timeout in a cage in the coop.

My question is has anyone ever has a separate small coop for just a rooster by himself? My concern is he's too young and immature to be a good rooster to them yet. I can't get anyone to take him. Ilive in New York State near Canada so it gets pretty cold in the winter. Any advice?
My cockerels free range during the day with the flock and my pullets share the run with my hens while the flock free ranges.I keep the door locked so the cockerels can't come inside while the hens are laying and the pullets are in the run .( I have to open and close it for the hens) My cockerels and pullets are separated from each other while being integrated into the flock.

Last edited:
You have one rooster separate from your flock?
I did, for around 3 months, as he was young and I didn't have any hens for him.
When I did give him is own girls, he was the perfect gentleman to them, and has been ever since.
It was definitely worth letting him get the worst of his hormones out of the way first

So he's in timeout in a cage in the coop.
Chickens do not respond to or understand this concept. It is for toddlers.
My question is has anyone ever has a separate small coop for just a rooster by himself?
Your cockerel is much closer in age to the pullets. The reason he was more respectful to the older hens is because they made him be respectful. The pullets are too young for his attention. I would simply keep him isolated within sight and hearing of the hens & pullets for a few weeks until the pullets start laying. Then they will be ready for him and you can let him back out.
He does not need to be permanently isolated from the flock. He is very young and needs to learn all his rooster skills and that can only be done with practice because there is no senior rooster to learn from example.

Back
Top Bottom