Separated them after fighting, now they're sad...

MarieNC

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
I have four ducks, two Rouens and two Pekins, about 5 months old. The Rouens are a pair, Sam and Ella. The Pekins are both males, Big Boy and Boo-Boo Bird. They are getting into mating behavior and Ella prefers her Sam, but the Pekin boys want to mate with her. They have started chasing and biting Sam, so I separated them into two runs with Sam and Ella in one run and the Pekin boys in the other. Even though all the boys were after Ella and fighting with each other, now the pairs sit across the fence from each other, looking sad. So what's a mother to do now?

You should probably invest in more females. At least four more. Or Get rid of your pekins and get another female.

Quote:
I would love to get more females but my husband is nixing that idea. No getting rid of any of them, either. They're part of my family.

It is extremely dangerous to have 3 males and only 1 female. Should could get seriously hurt.

Although they are sad, they will adjust in a few days and you are doing what needs to be done for your girl's sake and to keep them from hurting one another. I've had to separate out extra boys and they do become friends with each other after a while. It'll be ok and there isn't a lot more you can do.

Quote:
I would love to get more females but my husband is nixing that idea. No getting rid of any of them, either. They're part of my family.

If you won't part with the Pekin drakes or get more females, then they will absolutely have to remain separated permanently unless you want a dead female Rouen.

Quote:

If you won't part with the Pekin drakes or get more females, then they will absolutely have to remain separated permanently unless you want a dead female Rouen.

I will keep them separated permanently unless I can talk my husband into more females, which is my preference. Don't want anything to happen to Miss Ella.

Husbands have a habit of doing that. Guess mine's tired of building new accommodations
roll.png

Just doesn't understand the "duck thing"!

Last edited:
talk to hubby in "guy terms" like, boys will be boys and they need their girls to be happy and lead fulfilling lives...know what I mean? Ask him how he would like to be a bachelor...or forced into exile seeing the greener grass for the boy WITH the girl...speaking in guy terms sometimes works and then find yourself some lovely girls for you single boys...

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom