Separating babies from Mom

JakesMama

Chirping
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Sun Valley/Reno, NV
Hi Everybody! I have a question. First, here's the story... about 3 weeks ago, I answered an ad on Craigslist for a free mama and babies. The man explained how people dump chickens on his property because he's right next to a large pasture that's basically a rescue for geese and llamas. He didn't mind the chickens too much but he also feeds the stray cats there and the chickens compete with the cats for food. He didn't want to have another 12 chickens (the babies) stealing the cats' food, so he put the ad in. They are now at my house doing great. Well, he called me again today saying his other hen has another 12 babies! So I put up a post in a chicken Facebook group I'm in asking if anybody wanted them. Well, a lady answered saying she was interested, so I was excited. I spent almost 3 hours on this guy's property catching all 13, only to find out the lady wanted the chicks only, not the mom. I just can't bring myself to think that's a good idea. Another person has interest in the whole family, so now she just wants to spilt the chicks. Are chicks ok being separated from mom like that? They are only 1 to 2 days old. I know hatchery and incubator chicks are ok, but they've also never had mom to bond with. I worry the separated chicks would stress and get sick, especially after their ordeal getting chased around and caught. Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to any insight! :)

Back
Top Bottom