Separating drake/mating questions-Pekin

He’s probably thinking “Mom I promise to behave myself if you let me see my best friend”. But then nature kicks in......

But seriously that is a very sweet picture. You captured their affections for each other really well.

They are all doing great. Marshmallow is all healed up. She is always the first in line for treats. The others have new feathers too. I’ve seen a couple seem kinda sluggish the last few days so I bought de-wormer tonight. So I will get my turn at administering medication too. But overall they are great. We had a hawk scare the other day and I told the hubs I wanted it gone. And it was the next day. I like hawks but when I have to choose between the ducks and them, I will always pick the ducks.

Now I’m impatiently waiting for the cayugas to start laying. I want to see what color they are.....

How is Bill or Billy (can’t remember which one) doing in the egg laying department?
That's awesome to hear about your ducks. Yeah last weekend I was out with mine and seen one bald eagle and two hawks, with 10-20 minutes. I was getting ready to run the roads and was checking on them before I left.....seen that those birds flying over head, well Bill and Ted got locked while I was gone!!! Not taking a chance!

Bill have been laying great!!! I have not had any issues and she even started some what laying on her eggs. I candle them and one had started to develop, but I had a straw issue (DH bought the cheapest crappiest straw and I was coughing so much from it, I knew it was not good for the ducks) so I completely redid their pen and tried to move her nest.....welp, that didn't work and I accidentally destroyed it. I made new a one but she stop laying on it:thshe will only lay in it to lay an egg and out she comes!!

Well that’s great to hear. I have been wondering if Pekins will sit on their eggs or not. I hear that they don’t very often so I’m curious. Marshmallow has been laying some enormous double yolkers. But then some days she will lay small ones. And every now and again, she lays the rubbery shell-less egg. But I think it’s because they forage out in the yard most of the day and won’t come in to their pen where the oyster shell and feed are. I might need to give them less treats so they will go and eat their feed.:oops:

I’m still impatiently waiting for the cayugas to start laying. I’m not going to lie, I’ll be a little disappointed if they lay white eggs since most lay a grey/black/green colored egg.

Let me know if she successfully sits on them. I’m hoping what I read is wrong and Pekins are good sitters.

Well that’s great to hear. I have been wondering if Pekins will sit on their eggs or not. I hear that they don’t very often so I’m curious. Marshmallow has been laying some enormous double yolkers. But then some days she will lay small ones. And every now and again, she lays the rubbery shell-less egg. But I think it’s because they forage out in the yard most of the day and won’t come in to their pen where the oyster shell and feed are. I might need to give them less treats so they will go and eat their feed.:oops:

I’m still impatiently waiting for the cayugas to start laying. I’m not going to lie, I’ll be a little disappointed if they lay white eggs since most lay a grey/black/green colored egg.

Let me know if she successfully sits on them. I’m hoping what I read is wrong and Pekins are good sitters.
Yes! I will keep you posted on her sitting abilities. When I was waiting for Bill to lay an egg it felt like forever!!! Colored eggs would be such a treat to find!!

Yeah, kinda thought I would get more of a response, but it is a holiday here in the US... Thanksgiving Day.
Trial and error starts this weekend:barnie

I'm thinking that if I divid my pen in half, put in another door and make another but smaller duck house, I should be good.smh idk
I’m new to owning ducks too , I had no idea mating was so brutal , had I known I would not have kept a drake . My ducks are my pets . I just separated my drake I will not allow that brutality in my back yard . Nature or not . I will let you know how the separation goes

Back
Top Bottom