Separating flock occasionally for the day?

suburbanchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Raleigh NC
I have been raising chicks from one week old and finally got them out to their coop/run. They are 6 weeks old. Only had 4 and my space was big enough to raise 8 comfortably, so I went and got two pullets (Buff Orpingtons) who are 18 weeks old. I read that this breed is pretty laidback and added them directly into the run with the others. Things are going pretty well on Day 3 with the occasional posturing but no fighting. I have a mobile cage and thought I could remove half of the flock occasionally and move them around the property, as the main coop/run is stationary. Just wondering if this will cause issues bringing everyone together again at the end of the day? And my other question: If I do provide a field trip in the mobile coop for some, should I keep the 4 original and the two new ones together when I split them up, or should I randomly pair? Thanks in advance! Just don’t want to cause issues.

Is the mobile cage big enough for you to put them all in it at once? That would save you having to decide.

As long as they are together for nights and most days, I don't think putting some in a different pen for one day will cause trouble.

I don't think it will matter much whether you mix old and new or not.

No matter which ones you put in the mobile cage, you should probably check them a few times to make sure you haven't got one bullying another-- sometimes being in a different place or with only part of the flock can change the way they interact. I don't expect this to be a big problem, just a reason to glance at them occasionally and go check if you hear a lot of squawking.

Back
Top Bottom