Separating Roosters from Hens?

Extra roosters go to freezer camp or are given away. It is difficult to find anyone willing to pay enough for them to keep the buyer from butchering them. Since you raised them, you and your family should reap the benefit rather than someone else that did no work nor paid for any feed.
Good to know!

ASAP is when I would separate that many roosters, especially if they are only with flock mates.

Personally, I think roosters take some experience, so I would let all of the roosters go, planning on adding a rooster next year. Do you only have pullets? Because if so, I would be quite surprised if one has gone broody at that age.

Instead of doing this hobby all at once, work yourselves into it, just have hens this year, next year add some chicks and raise up a rooster in the flock, then start the cycle over again.

If you get your druthers, two coops/runs is most fun, cause you can use one for a main flock, and the other to separate out the boys, or raise up some meat birds, or ...

Mrs K
We have ten pullets. I don’t want to get rid of all of the cockerels because of their breeding;there’s a waitlist to get any. But you’re probably right in that we should! ‍♀️

Well if there is a waitlist, some other people want those birds. Sell them this year, get some of their offspring next year.

Very often, IMO and experience, roosters raised with flock mates can become very aggressive. The rooster chicks grow faster and become sexually mature much sooner than the pullets. They ARE the biggest thing in the pen, and can bully the pullets.

People without a lot of experience with roosters, often do not recognize the signs, until a very violent attack is made. People often underestimate how violent a rooster attack can be. Rooster chicks are so darling, and appear so brave, people often mistake that for friendly behavior, but it is not. Rooster chicks that are not afraid of you, that readily approach you...they are not afraid of you, and expect you to be submissive to them, if you are not, they can attack to prove their point.

You look young, and might have small children, rooster attacking a person can be frightening, but it can cause real damage to children, especially to children under the age of 5.

If there is a waiting list, sell them. Let yourselves get some experience first. Roosters, even just one rooster takes some experience. Later, as in next year, let a rooster grow up in the flock. Those older hens will teach him some manners.

People often come here hoping that there is a way to keep a bunch of rooster. Sometimes you can keep them in a separate pen, a bachelors quarters. A lot depends on how many birds you have and a huge implication is the space you have. And the experience you have with chickens.

Mrs K

Well if there is a waitlist, some other people want those birds. Sell them this year, get some of their offspring next year.

Very often, IMO and experience, roosters raised with flock mates can become very aggressive. The rooster chicks grow faster and become sexually mature much sooner than the pullets. They ARE the biggest thing in the pen, and can bully the pullets.

People without a lot of experience with roosters, often do not recognize the signs, until a very violent attack is made. People often underestimate how violent a rooster attack can be. Rooster chicks are so darling, and appear so brave, people often mistake that for friendly behavior, but it is not. Rooster chicks that are not afraid of you, that readily approach you...they are not afraid of you, and expect you to be submissive to them, if you are not, they can attack to prove their point.

You look young, and might have small children, rooster attacking a person can be frightening, but it can cause real damage to children, especially to children under the age of 5.

If there is a waiting list, sell them. Let yourselves get some experience first. Roosters, even just one rooster takes some experience. Later, as in next year, let a rooster grow up in the flock. Those older hens will teach him some manners.

People often come here hoping that there is a way to keep a bunch of rooster. Sometimes you can keep them in a separate pen, a bachelors quarters. A lot depends on how many birds you have and a huge implication is the space you have. And the experience you have with chickens.

Mrs K
This is is incredibly helpful; thank you for taking the time to write this out! I like your approach. We do have little ones with another one on the way, so I’m glad you brought that up! I wouldn’t have had any idea they were so aggressive. Again, thank you for taking the time to talk some sense into me!

This is is incredibly helpful; thank you for taking the time to write this out! I like your approach. We do have little ones with another one on the way, so I’m glad you brought that up! I wouldn’t have had any idea they were so aggressive. Again, thank you for taking the time to talk some sense into me!
One question I do have: isn’t it good to have a rooster around to help protect the hens? We free range during the day. Curious about your thoughts on this.

I will admit that a rooster had cut my day time predation. They have no effect on night time predation. BUT they are not effective protectors until the roosters are over a year old. Until then, they are only interested in one thing. The juvenile roosters are not protectors of the flock.

Now, if you are on a farm or a ranch, where the birds have their own space, and your children play a long ways away from them, then I might have a rooster.... but I would go back to where I got these chicks, and ask fro a rooster that grew up in an established flock, and who is so darn nice he just did not quite get culled, and he would be over a year old...but I would not add him until my pullets were laying.

Free ranging is nice, but really, once the predators find you, the losses can be heavy. more than once, I have have been nearly wiped out. These sound like expensive birds, I would be building a good run for them. Then let them free range until you get hit, then lock up. Sometimes it is just nice to be able to lock the birds up for their safety.

However, if your children share the yard with the birds, are even if their space is close to the bird's space, I would not have a rooster, and I damn straight would not have a free ranging juvenile rooster. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids.

I love having a rooster, have had several roosters over the years, two were outstanding flock masters, 3 were so-so, 1 was a nightmare. However, my grandchildren come frequently, I have an old boy we call Captain, he is not aggressive, but I keep a very close eye on him, when the grandchildren come to help me with chores. Get down on your knees and see their perspective. Claws to the face...not worth the whole damn flock.

I hope I have been helpful, and of course, they are your birds and you can do what you need to, but do be very aware. Not all roosters are violent, but if you spend some time on this forum, you will find countless posts of where the 'darling' turned into the nightmare in an instant. That more than likely is not true, but they just did not have the experience to recognize the signs.

Mrs K

I will admit that a rooster had cut my day time predation. They have no effect on night time predation. BUT they are not effective protectors until the roosters are over a year old. Until then, they are only interested in one thing. The juvenile roosters are not protectors of the flock.

Now, if you are on a farm or a ranch, where the birds have their own space, and your children play a long ways away from them, then I might have a rooster.... but I would go back to where I got these chicks, and ask fro a rooster that grew up in an established flock, and who is so darn nice he just did not quite get culled, and he would be over a year old...but I would not add him until my pullets were laying.

Free ranging is nice, but really, once the predators find you, the losses can be heavy. more than once, I have have been nearly wiped out. These sound like expensive birds, I would be building a good run for them. Then let them free range until you get hit, then lock up. Sometimes it is just nice to be able to lock the birds up for their safety.

However, if your children share the yard with the birds, are even if their space is close to the bird's space, I would not have a rooster, and I damn straight would not have a free ranging juvenile rooster. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids.

I love having a rooster, have had several roosters over the years, two were outstanding flock masters, 3 were so-so, 1 was a nightmare. However, my grandchildren come frequently, I have an old boy we call Captain, he is not aggressive, but I keep a very close eye on him, when the grandchildren come to help me with chores. Get down on your knees and see their perspective. Claws to the face...not worth the whole damn flock.

I hope I have been helpful, and of course, they are your birds and you can do what you need to, but do be very aware. Not all roosters are violent, but if you spend some time on this forum, you will find countless posts of where the 'darling' turned into the nightmare in an instant. That more than likely is not true, but they just did not have the experience to recognize the signs.

Mrs K
I really appreciate your input. It’s been invaluable to me!

Back
Top Bottom