Separating Roosters from Hens?

schwankelikedonkey

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2018
Ok, so I'm very new to this. But we've got 8 cockerels and 10 pullets (I've just determined this today) and I'm a little at a loss of what to do with them now that they're getting bigger. They're free range during the day with a stationary coop they go in at night - everyone's together at this point. They're about 4-5 months old. I can find this out exactly if I need to. Most are Ameraucanas direct from Paul Smith, so more high stakes chickens than I'm probably qualified for. :hmm

When do I need to separate them? When do they start breeding? I don't want these poor hens getting more than their fair share all day long with that many roosters.

And then how do I know when an egg is fertilized and how long is the incubation period? And what do I do with a hen that's brooding? I just have no clue here...

Sorry about the 20 questions. And thanks for any help!

It would be wise to separate roosters. @RoostersAreAwesome can tell you about rooster only flocks. The hen's incubation period is 21 days on average, but it can be a day late or early. Those little cockerals are going to experience chickeny puberty soon, I would recommend beginning separation when they hit 6 months old. Roosters may begin breeding at 5-6 months (this is with my personal experience anyway). I am horrible at explaining how to check fertility at an egg, so I'm just gonna let someone else explain that part for you. The best thing to do with I hen that is brooding is to not move her until she has hatched, or she may abandon the eggs (personal experience again, some people might have different answers). What you can do is get a pencil, and put a letter or number or symbol etc, to mark the original eggs under the broody, so you can remove any eggs that may be layed with her by other hens. Once a broody has hatched, it would be wise to remove her from the main flock, to help protect the chicks. However, if there is just no where to put her, you can leave her in there, she should protect them herself. Have a great afternoon and God Bless! :)

Ok, so I'm very new to this. But we've got 8 cockerels and 10 pullets (I've just determined this today) and I'm a little at a loss of what to do with them now that they're getting bigger. They're free range during the day with a stationary coop they go in at night - everyone's together at this point. They're about 4-5 months old. I can find this out exactly if I need to. Most are Ameraucanas direct from Paul Smith, so more high stakes chickens than I'm probably qualified for. :hmm

When do I need to separate them? When do they start breeding? I don't want these poor hens getting more than their fair share all day long with that many roosters.

And then how do I know when an egg is fertilized and how long is the incubation period? And what do I do with a hen that's brooding? I just have no clue here...

Sorry about the 20 questions. And thanks for any help!

Are you planning on keeping any cockerels ? If you are, I would only advise you to keep one (if you’re not breeding) if you are breeding which it seems like you are planning on doing so, I would keep 2 or 3.
Do you have a plan on where your other cockerels will go ?

Are you planning on keeping any cockerels ? If you are, I would only advise you to keep one (if you’re not breeding) if you are breeding which it seems like you are planning on doing so, I would keep 2 or 3.
Do you have a plan on where your other cockerels will go ?
I have no idea where they'll go; probably need to sell them!...just trying to figure that out now. I think we want to breed (my husband does, I just want eggs!) and they're so gorgeous, I hate to get rid of all of them. And we do free range, so I'd imagine we want to keep at least one rooster around.

I'd separate them now. I'd also lose at least 6 of the cockerels.
If pullets are with cockerels, there's a 98% chance the eggs are fertile.
If you open the eggs, infertile will have a white dot (blastdisc) on the yolk. Fertile eggs will have a halo instead. (blastoderm)
There are many reasons to separate the broody hen from the flock. But that isn't for chick protection. A broody hen will provide all the protection the chicks need.
There's no guarantee any of your pullets will go broody any time soon.

I have no idea where they'll go; probably need to sell them!...just trying to figure that out now. I think we want to breed (my husband does, I just want eggs!) and they're so gorgeous, I hate to get rid of all of them. And we do free range, so I'd imagine we want to keep at least one rooster around.
Extra roosters go to freezer camp or are given away. It is difficult to find anyone willing to pay enough for them to keep the buyer from butchering them. Since you raised them, you and your family should reap the benefit rather than someone else that did no work nor paid for any feed.

ASAP is when I would separate that many roosters, especially if they are only with flock mates.

Personally, I think roosters take some experience, so I would let all of the roosters go, planning on adding a rooster next year. Do you only have pullets? Because if so, I would be quite surprised if one has gone broody at that age.

Instead of doing this hobby all at once, work yourselves into it, just have hens this year, next year add some chicks and raise up a rooster in the flock, then start the cycle over again.

If you get your druthers, two coops/runs is most fun, cause you can use one for a main flock, and the other to separate out the boys, or raise up some meat birds, or ...

Mrs K

I'd separate them now. I'd also lose at least 6 of the cockerels.
If pullets are with cockerels, there's a 98% chance the eggs are fertile.
If you open the eggs, infertile will have a white dot (blastdisc) on the yolk. Fertile eggs will have a halo instead. (blastoderm)
There are many reasons to separate the broody hen from the flock. But that isn't for chick protection. A broody hen will provide all the protection the chicks need.
There's no guarantee any of your pullets will go broody any time soon.
Ok! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom