Separating the flock

suzieg81

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
So I've had 10 hens since they were babies. The inent has been to give 4 to my laws when they got their coop. However they are now 20 ,21 weeks and it looks like in one month I'll be doing the split. Does anyone have advice as to how to decide which 4 go? The 4 that go all have sisters of the same breed. Will there be any issues I should watch for?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would keep the 6 that have the best temperament and get along with each other the best. If their is no noticeable different in temperament, I would keep the 6 that I liked the best. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?

Look at what you have and pick the 4 you'd least want to keep...lol..I've yet to see chickens suffer from separation anxiety (with the exception of a mom and small babies of course). The only issues you may have is the stress of moving them from one environment to another. They may stop laying for a while. It would be a good idea to give them stress aid when they move. Other than that there shouldn't be any issues.

Since 4 of them will be leaving they won't be lonely, as they have each other. I don't forsee any problems with separation anxiety.

welcome-byc.gif
I would pick your favorites.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I would keep the more docile hens. I would remove the flock leader and the lowest in the order and any others that are not your most favorite. It is never easy to decide.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5, would keep your favorite hens, if you have any that are problems, bullies, overly spooky, flyers etc or just don't like the temperament would give those away. Since you have different breeds, if you have ones that are really different types you might want to watch that you don't leave one hen that is a real outsider, ie if you have only two polish or leghorn types etc might not want to split them up.

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

I would keep the more docile hens. I would remove the flock leader and the lowest in the order and any others that are not your most favorite. It is never easy to decide. 

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

I have a Gold Star who is the leader of the hens and started laying way before the rest, Silver Laced Wyandotte who is laying when she wants already. Then for the sisters we have Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australops, and Barred Rocks. Of those pairs the kids already picked out their EE when she was a chick, there was enough distinction between the two. Today one of the BR was pecking me while I was cleaning and trying to get their curtains in, so she is going. The other two sets of sisters will be a toss up. I am not super new BYC but I can never get to the place of starting a NEW thread.

Back
Top Bottom