Seperating extra roos out.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessierose, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I posted awhile back that I had bought 4 "hens" and then 3 of them started crowing. Ha. Lesson learned!
    The same thing has happened to my neighbor and he still has 3 roosters in with 3 hens. They are just beginning to lay.
    I am not going to butt into his business but out of curiosity I was wondering when you should seperate out extra roos. Will the extras make the layers less likely to produce well? Won't the roos stress the ladies out?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Too many roos will stress the hens out and their backs will get torn up with the roosters competing to mate them. Stressed hens lay less eggs.

I had three extra roos. I found homes for them as soon as I was certain they were roos.

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    We just last week sent 5 roos to SIL he'll send them to freezer camp. We kept two they were 12 weeks old and starting to fight a bit. Hardest thing to do decide which to keep.

4. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Yeah, I am with you on that! I still have my extra roos in a seperate coop because I can't bring myself to sending them with my brother to...um....camp.
    It is kinda nice having them to clean up between the rows of my gardens in their portable run but I need to cull them out soon. Can't keep feeding and tending extras. I keep listing them on Freecycle and Sell My Stuff but you can't give roos away around here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by