seperating waring factions..

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
I don't know what got into my one gander. he has had a jones to put a beat down on one of my other ganders. when they are out pasturing they seem fine. I try and put them in the hut at night and the one we call Oscar goes off like its nuts while putting in the other gander. I have had to keep them separated for weeks but as of tonight they are back in the hut. I split the distance between them and added a gate with wire mesh in it. they can see each other and squawk at each other but that's about it. I hope these buggers get their heads straight soon.

I don't know what got into my one gander. he has had a jones to put a beat down on one of my other ganders. when they are out pasturing they seem fine. I try and put them in the hut at night and the one we call Oscar goes off like its nuts while putting in the other gander. I have had to keep them separated for weeks but as of tonight they are back in the hut. I split the distance between them and added a gate with wire mesh in it. they can see each other and squawk at each other but that's about it. I hope these buggers get their heads straight soon.

They will after mating season is over.

I have 2 ganders that are best friends -- hang out together, flirt with girls together, and go chase off intruders together. I never realized that geese did that. However, they did beat up the third gander who has been seperated for the duration of the breeding season. Poor thing. He's sad with his mate, but better that then being tangled in my fence!

I'm watching my remaining two bossy ganders to see if they have a falling out, but so far they remain friends. I hope it lasts . . .

Thats kinda where I'm at. the two buddies are bullying the 3rd. as for making ground the split in the coop seems to be working. they have calmed down some. the second night with the fence between them in close quarters is having its effects.
last night they lost one of the girls to the split so the 3//3 had them wondering?

well its working so far. I keep switching out which girls go in the pen so its 3/3, the bullies got the back half the first couple nights and tonight they got the front. things seem to calm...

I have 2 ganders that are best friends -- hang out together, flirt with girls together, and go chase off intruders together. I never realized that geese did that. However, they did beat up the third gander who has been seperated for the duration of the breeding season. Poor thing. He's sad with his mate, but better that then being tangled in my fence!

I'm watching my remaining two bossy ganders to see if they have a falling out, but so far they remain friends. I hope it lasts . . .
I have had the exact same senario, two buddies have outcasted the third gander, who is back with the ducks now. They were chasing him up and down the fence lines, and he was not allowed anywhere near the flock!

Last year I posted with the same problem. I had two geese and two ganders that got along fine all year. Till mating season. Then the dominant gander started in on the less dominant one and drove him out of the flock. I ended up having to separate them. I gave the most dominant gander his favorite goose and gave the other goose to the less dominant gander. Problem solved.

Sometimes my birds remind me of middle schoolers.
roll.png

my problem is reversed, the dominate Goose rejected the other Goose!!! My gander is just sitting back watching the "cat fight"
barnie.gif

I've got them seperated but with space being a problem it looks like i'm gonna have to get rid of one.
rant.gif

Psue -- that is a pain that the females don't like each other. I have 3 males and 5 females, and so far the females seem to be doing okay with each other. One just lost her mate and is kind of depressed, but she has started standing up for herself with the bossy ganders so I feel more hopeful about her. My two bossy males continue to be best friends and have the coop all to themselves. Sigh. Now I have to get more fencing . . .

And they totally remind me of middle schoolers . . .

Back
Top Bottom