Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

I was looking up Catdance Silkies and I just realized she is not terribly far from me.  Her Silkies are seriously amazing!  I don't know why I thought she was in California but she's in Washington.  I can't afford her eggs right now but maybe someday...   She has paint, black, lavender and porcelain, all the colors I love!  She has beautiful whites too.

I contacted her last month to find out about eggs!! But she never got back to me. I am in love with her silkies!!! If you are ever in touch with her let me know!

Yeah hmm I hadn't thought of looking it up that way. Thanks that's a good idea. And yeah I know its always a gamble. But I was very disappointed in that seller. The eggs were not good. He sent body checked eggs, misshapen eggs, porous, and some that were half the size of others I'm sure they were pullet eggs which he denied. Some of the eggs you could see he had used steel wool or something to scrub them clean that there were scrapes and scratches covering the whole egg. I will never be buying from him again. I thought he was trying to make it right. I did research and every problem there was with my eggs could be caused by poorly cared for birds. It's sad that he cares that little about his name and business.

And of course he was eager to try to "make things right" but took so long in doing so we couldn't get our money back. I just hope I get one hen. We candled again last night and took more eggs out several we opened werent even fertile which I know can happen but I think it's just that he doesn't care about his product.

Yeah hmm I hadn't thought of looking it up that way. Thanks that's a good idea. And yeah I know its always a gamble. But I was very disappointed in that seller. The eggs were not good. He sent body checked eggs, misshapen eggs, porous, and some that were half the size of others I'm sure they were pullet eggs which he denied. Some of the eggs you could see he had used steel wool or something to scrub them clean that there were scrapes and scratches covering the whole egg. I will never be buying from him again. I thought he was trying to make it right. I did research and every problem there was with my eggs could be caused by poorly cared for birds. It's sad that he cares that little about his name and business.

That sucks... I try to look at feedback for specific info about their egg packing, if people are happy or not. Sometimes you don't know till you try and some folks aren't good at it and really shouldn't be shipping eggs. I hope some do hatch for you!

smile.png

The wait is taking forever! They could hatch anywhere from today to Friday.
barnie.gif
Of course, seeing as how that is only two days, I should be patient. But I don't think that will be happening. Lol.
tongue.png

lock down is the best excuse to go shoe shopping! hoping its sooner rather than later for you.

Last edited:
That sucks... I try to look at feedback for specific info about their egg packing, if people are happy or not. Sometimes you don't know till you try and some folks aren't good at it and really shouldn't be shipping eggs. I hope some do hatch for you!

i dont ebay much but my partner says put a negative comment on straight away if something was wrong, most ebay sellers want good feedback and will do everything to correct the situation and then you can remove or moderate your negative feedback....at least that's what i think if ranted on about after receiving a second rate product! It could be the number of buyers is so high they dont care but at least the word is out. they may change practice.

Ruby my partridges are doing well, up to day 10 and this morning i will candle again. have 9 great, 1 so so and 1 i think no go- the blood ring, 1 early quitter. I took photos of the blood vessels 2 nights ago and am trying to see if it predicts those who pip the wrong end.
this is the article- long winded and starts more positive then gets less convincing but I like the idea of having some prewarning that a chick may have trouble. http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43968518/PDF. Also found some great info on the triggers for hatching, seems they hear each other, may even feel each other tapping or hear chirps thru bone conduction rather than air conduction...so eggs should touch each other. There are also complicated hormonal signals such as thyroid hormones, steroids and carbon dioxide driven stimuli.
After plowing thru it all I concluded, let eggs touch each other, and was going to try top find a recording of chicks tapping to play the day before hatching, this will help synchronize them to hatch together. other than that its all too complicated and out of our hands! Found nothing on what makes the blood vessels recede, but will keep looking.

good luck with the quails, are they the tiny ones or bigger than silkies?

Darkblue you little ones sound like they are doing very well, hatching sounds exhausting I'm not surprised they look a bit down on day 1.

my older silkie chicks look so scruffy now, feathers and fluff everywhere...this is normal? do they have an ugly duckling phase?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom