Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by silkienrescues, Aug 31, 2015.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Some people are just in it to make the $. Or I've come across people with animals in filthy conditions, feeding them only bread, not proper nutrition, tons of males over breeding females. And they think just because they supply shelter and water for the animals that they are doing a great job!! So it sounds like you were just unlucky with finding a bad egg in the bunch! (pun intended). When I inquire on eBay, I always ask for a website or Facebook page or a BYC member name. Surprisingly every time I've asked they have given me the info. Then I can see pictures of their stock and the living conditions. I'm really hoping you get a couple and girls too!! Good luck. What day are you on again?

Me too. That would be great! They really are so gorgeous!

2. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    @RubyNala97
    That's a good idea I think I'll do that. It sounds like a really good idea thanks. Lol about the bad egg comment. I hope I get a couple hens too. Well tomorrow should be last candle and lockdown on two eggs but I think they've quit we'll see. The rest should lockdown in a week

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    They definitely have an awkward stage... when those head feathers are coming in they look so funny. My oldest four were given an open container of water this last week and they must have dunked their heads while trying to drink. They looked ridiculous but then their heads totally fluffed up and they look so much better. I may do that regularly!

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    How big was the container? Because my oldest male has the dirtiest crest!! I tried to clean it with a wet paper towel but he was not happy about it! I was trying to figure out how to dunk his head in water without getting it in his eyes/nose. That sounds like the perfect solution!!

I missed this post!! Sorry! I am excited to read that link you provided. Each little thing that happens during hatch time has a specific and significant function!! That's why it's best for the chicks to hatch by themselves. But of course, throw in human factors and that's not always possible. I was reading about co2/oxygen and the internal/external pips and it was all fascinating. My quail egg pipped last night around 10 pm but no progress yet this morning. I need him to hurry up so I can set the second half of these eggs. First set was weighed and went in last night!! Good luck on the eggs!!

5. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    It is just a 16 oz container from the store that my fresh mozzarella came in. I put a rock at the bottom so it would be a little harder to knock over. I love their puffy heads!

Also, does chick music work on quail? ; )

6. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    My eggs are hatching! They're finally hatching! Just the first little pips right now, but still. Either it was my mom talking to them (I talked to them over and over and yet just an hour or so after Mom did it they start hatching), or maybe they sensed the pressure change outside. Its really storming, and they started hatching as soon as it started storming.

7. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Yay!! [​IMG]

8. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Oh wow.... that was awesome. A little dude just hatched!!!!!!! So precious and so amazing!

Hatching
    [​IMG]
    Hatched
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Keeping warm on my hand (I'm writing with only one hand right now)
    [​IMG]

9. silkienrescues

silkienrescues Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    oh Gita he/she is lovely, is that a little black spot? how are the others?
    Ruby how are the quails doing? Hopefully the extended wait will just help set the air cells.
    I have hit a snag with humidity, 5eggs not loosing enough weight, 1 lost too much, so I have it in a plastic bag with a wet tissue, and am running the other ones in a dry incubator, at about 20%. weigh in again tomorrow. Have also sanded the blunt end of those eggs with an emery board, but dont want to wash the bloom off for fear of leaving them exposed to infection.
    It was confusing as to why last hatch I had to keep in high humidity the whole way thru, while this and the first one needed to be drier. I think my middle hatch were washed by the seller before shipping. The eggs were really clean and felt slippery, and they didn't get the slight brownish patches on them the others have as they incubated.

10. silkienrescues

silkienrescues Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    oh no just refreshed the air in the bag with the egg that has lost 14% of its weight and its blood vessels have all disappeared, I feel sick did I kill it by not refreshing the air often enough? It was barely moving this morning, maybe it wasn't well anyway. This is a small egg and can be candled really easily its very see through so I assume its a thin shell.
    Has anyone else used a plastic bag to stop an egg loosing too much moisture? How often did you refresh the air in the bag?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by