September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Temp should be easy to keep once you find the right place to have your bator, in the house, or garage, where ever you are incubating. Humidity..makes a difference in the area that you live. I am in the desert. I have to really add water to get humidity up for lock down..don't worry too much for incubation, but keep it around high 20's and low 30's. Have to add sponges along with full wells to get to 60 .. 62%, where some, like those that live in Florida for example, have no problems getting that humidity where it needs to be lock down. May have a problem keeping it down during incubation though. :p

So I have wondered: Like in the dry area where you are at let's say lockdown starts & you find that there needs to be more water added for some reason. Will it be a very bad thing to open it very quickly to toss in another wet sponge or is it better to let it just ride it out?

@Gloryjasmine
@Scovy Momma

Well firstly awww and I'll call you sister any time Glory. Idk if you've ever read Anne of Green Gables but I feel like we're kindred spirits. Also I'm glad I could uplift and speak to others lol about as much as I was talking to myself :) I also brag to my DH2B and Mom every day about all of you and give them the play by play. My first hatch I wasn't in a hatch-a-long and even with my Mom and DH2B I felt very alone, as this is mostly my thing. Don't get me wrong they get excited and want to see too, but mostly they just come tell me if the humidity goes down that sort of thing. I did tons of research about hatching and since we decided to get chickens I've been reading non-stop just about lol I still wasn't prepared. I had read about assisted hatches but didn't think I'd have to do it and I was home alone when I did. I was on BYC but I hadn't joined yet so I was just silently searching for help that applied to my situation. I found it. I was putting off joining BC I didn't want it to monopolize my time. DH2B still gets a bit jealous of you all, like I'd run away with you.... Maybe your chickens. ;)

Always better to open it for a second to add moisture than it would be to let it run dry.
That's what I figured. This incubator is very tiny & burns up the humidity quickly so I am thinking I can only keep it prepped for lockdown for maybe a day & 1/2- two days before it'll start to be too dry. I hate the idea of them being almost out then having the plastic-bag-over-the-head thing take them out.
I can toss in a tiny wet sponge very quickly.

@Gloryjasmine
@Scovy Momma

Well firstly awww and I'll call you sister any time Glory. Idk if you've ever read Anne of Green Gables but I feel like we're kindred spirits. Also I'm glad I could uplift and speak to others lol about as much as I was talking to myself
smile.png
I also brag to my DH2B and Mom every day about all of you and give them the play by play. My first hatch I wasn't in a hatch-a-long and even with my Mom and DH2B I felt very alone, as this is mostly my thing. Don't get me wrong they get excited and want to see too, but mostly they just come tell me if the humidity goes down that sort of thing. I did tons of research about hatching and since we decided to get chickens I've been reading non-stop just about lol I still wasn't prepared. I had read about assisted hatches but didn't think I'd have to do it and I was home alone when I did. I was on BYC but I hadn't joined yet so I was just silently searching for help that applied to my situation. I found it. I was putting off joining BC I didn't want it to monopolize my time. DH2B still gets a bit jealous of you all, like I'd run away with you.... Maybe your chickens.
wink.png
hugs.gif
I found this site when I had gotten my muscovy baby & wanted to keep her as a house duck. I needed help that I hadn't learned about in all the AG classes & 4H & FFA I did in high school. This site pops up for every question! I have met many great people here & I can ask even the silliest questions because everyone starts at the same point sometime. I love it here, it's All Fowl Time All Fowl Day
lol.png

Ooh! I was thinking that but had read not to let the eggs shells get wet, I guess that's talking about the whole early incubation time though.
Yep. You don't want wet eggs while incubating. It's just inviting bacteria to destroy you clutch. It's perfectly fine to set your eggs on top of a damp paper towel for 2 or 3 days when that moisture is critical to a successful hatch. But it can't be too wet.

@Gloryjasmine
@Scovy Momma

Well firstly awww and I'll call you sister any time Glory. Idk if you've ever read Anne of Green Gables but I feel like we're kindred spirits. Also I'm glad I could uplift and speak to others lol about as much as I was talking to myself :) I also brag to my DH2B and Mom every day about all of you and give them the play by play. My first hatch I wasn't in a hatch-a-long and even with my Mom and DH2B I felt very alone, as this is mostly my thing. Don't get me wrong they get excited and want to see too, but mostly they just come tell me if the humidity goes down that sort of thing. I did tons of research about hatching and since we decided to get chickens I've been reading non-stop just about lol I still wasn't prepared. I had read about assisted hatches but didn't think I'd have to do it and I was home alone when I did. I was on BYC but I hadn't joined yet so I was just silently searching for help that applied to my situation. I found it. I was putting off joining BC I didn't want it to monopolize my time. DH2B still gets a bit jealous of you all, like I'd run away with you.... Maybe your chickens. ;)

Ok you just brought a tear to my eyes. That just touched the deepest part of my heart. Thank you thank you thank you so sincerely. I am not much on reading,well I wasn't until I found BYC,so no,I haven't read it. I have heard of it. I will look into it though. Same here,every time I'd Google something regarding chickens,I'd automatically get directed to a BYC answer! Now,if that's not The Lord....
1f618.png
my husband calls it my chicken crack! Lmbo....... Yup I'm addicted. Hee heeee....awwwww poor wittle guy. You just let him know,this isn't just a chicken forum...its Fellowship!
1f46d.png
1f46d.png
1f46d.png
1f46d.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom