September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Still waiting on my 7 Ameracuana eggs from a friend. It's very hot here in Texas and his hens are slow laying. Might have to change my plan.
hu.gif

And an update on my poor guinea hen trying to sit on about 30 eggs. I hope at least one is successful for her sake. I just picked two out and candled. One looked hopeful, the other not so much. I have no idea when they were laid or when they started to develop, so its all just a guess. Oh, and had a big ol' rat snake in the coop the other day. Dang thing had at least 3 guinea eggs in it. Hated to do it, but those eggs were its last meal. Wish they would stay away from the coop and stick to rats.

I have a brinsea mini. It fits 7 eggs. The humidity rises very quickly when I add wxtra water. In fact, when the chicks start hatching! The humidity rises so much o have to open it up once or twice to get some oxygen back on the incubator! With that said, I try not to open the incubator while they are hatching just in case. But I don't worry too much because the humidity risks so quickly once I close it again.

That makes sense! There'll be so much moisture that I may not have to worry too much when they hatch. Thanks!
Today I pulled out my first egg from the rest. The eggs are all named after months for sorting & Clear June has just stayed clear this whole time & since I'm new at this I was really sure this one was safe to evict. It got its walking papers & I checked the insidie parts to make sure there was no tenant.

This was the one that had the figure 8 shaped air cell since I first set them in. The yolk is so bright yellow so I'm guessing I was just cookin' a plain ol' egg?

My three eggs due this weekend start lockdown this morning. :)
I candled them tonight I think they look good. It's hard to see in them because of darkness. Also my two Pekin or Khaki duck eggs which should hatch in 7-10 days or so. Have movement. Wahoo ...... :)

My three eggs due this weekend start lockdown this morning.
smile.png

I candled them tonight I think they look good. It's hard to see in them because of darkness. Also my two Pekin or Khaki duck eggs which should hatch in 7-10 days or so. Have movement. Wahoo ......
smile.png

Awesome. I couldn't see a thing in my brown eggs past day 14.

Also I have a problem. So I guess one should check on the kid when they ask them to set the eggs ya? Cause I really didn't open the bator until tonight and realized their all wrong side up in there. Been like that for 4 days should I consider this a doomed attempt? I turned them all right side up but I am just worried. @WVduckchick what's your thoughts? Doomed or wait and see.
I have a counter full of eggs and no more incubators. 15 chicken and 7 duck eggs. Lol

You might have caught it early enough. I'm sure that hens don't make sure every single egg is placed just right and they still manage to get eggs to hatch. If you don't have any development by day 10, then it's probably safe to dump them.

So I have wondered: Like in the dry area where you are at let's say lockdown starts & you find that there needs to be more water added for some reason. Will it be a very bad thing to open it very quickly to toss in another wet sponge or is it better to let it just ride it out?

Just getting on today, and it's night! Ha...

You got the right answer though, best to go ahead and add a sponge during lock down. In fact, while you are at it, you can actually feel just how humid it is..I have changed my mind a time or two when I lifted the lid to add something, and felt humidity like no other! My thermometer just wasn't reading right. It really doesn't take as much humidity as some thing. Just think, back in the day...and not so long ago, it was believe we should incubate at 55%, and lock down at 70%! That's good for ducks. :)

Hello new to this thread.. This is my 2nd time hatching with a broody so I'm a nerves wreck I tried this couple of months ago but 5 days til hatch a snake killed my broody and ate all her eggs but 2 and those 2 didn't make it.

That is so sad! I hope things go all the way good for you and your broody and little babies this time! Did you move her to a different place?

Back
Top Bottom