September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

@GitaBooks
Wow that's a lot to go through you must be emotionally drained I'm glad everyone made it home okay though and that your leghorn is not severely injured.
Last weekend we had a girl that Daddy forgot to put in to bed(she was roosting on the run) out all night. He was doing me a favor and counted her but forgot to out her in. I found her when I went to let the girls out she came walking up to me like nothing was out of the ordinary of course my response was, "Dorthy! What are you doing out here? Didn't you go to bed last night?" Of course I asked DH2B and he asked me which bird, when I told him "Dorthy" he realized what happened right away and felt so bad he kept apologizing. I just told him, "It's okay she's fine no big deal(inside I may have been saying but if she had died you'd have to replace her with a dozen more birds and I would be very upset)"

@cynthia12. That's too bad about the paint eggs I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the rest keep developing perfectly.

@Joplus

9 SQ Sicilian Buttercup eggs(arrived in very bad shape)
-set 8/16
-first candle(day7) number down to 2-3 appear viable
-5 eggs quit and were removed. Decided to give the others more time.
-due 9/6

Replacement eggs
10 SQ Sicilian Buttercup eggs
2 partridge rock eggs
-air cells a bit rough
-set 8/21
-due 9/11

I really want to see those Buttercups!!

@GitaBooks
Wow that's a lot to go through you must be emotionally drained I'm glad everyone made it home okay though and that your leghorn is not severely injured.
Last weekend we had a girl that Daddy forgot to put in to bed(she was roosting on the run) out all night. He was doing me a favor and counted her but forgot to out her in. I found her when I went to let the girls out she came walking up to me like nothing was out of the ordinary of course my response was, "Dorthy! What are you doing out here? Didn't you go to bed last night?" Of course I asked DH2B and he asked me which bird, when I told him "Dorthy" he realized what happened right away and felt so bad he kept apologizing. I just told him, "It's okay she's fine no big deal(inside I may have been saying but if she had died you'd have to replace her with a dozen more birds and I would be very upset)"

@cynthia12. That's too bad about the paint eggs I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the rest keep developing perfectly.

:gig replace one with 12. I hear ya!

Gita - glad your girl is ok!

@WVduckchick
You and me both I'm dieing to see them. The pics of Buttercup chicks I've seen are soooooo adorable.

I had to google them. I didn't even know what they were, but I agree they look totally adorable. Might be another breed I have to look into.
(dang, there goes the chicken math again)

Well I got my 200 set today. Now got to make it through the waiting period.

Glad they don't take as long as it did with my kids. That wait seemed like forever. Now that they're grown it's like where did the time go. My oldest is about to turn 30 in October.

Wait until your youngest turns 30 (my parents will be there in Dec)

Alright people: anyone with experience see anything happening? These are day 9 eggs. (I know a couple are really porous, but I didn't want to get rid of them without at least trying.) These are all Ebay eggs; I was really impressed with one shipper and slightly bummed with the other. Only one arrived with a tiny crack out of both sets. One set had been individually bubble wrapped and set in packing peanuts. There's high quality shipping!

(Pictures from coolness standpoint: 10. Pictures from a usefulness standpoint: 0)

Last edited:
You can try that at any time. Remember that a hen will get up and leave her eggs at least once or twice a day. A few minutes outside of the incubator to candle isn't going to harm them at all.

Back
Top Bottom