September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

This has got to be the oddest hatch ever....Well, my eggs were due tomorrow. They were the eggs we found from my blue isbar hen, Blue. She had two mates, Will Wheaton and Dan, who both were killed by the neighbors dog in the last couple weeks. We found her stash on the 21st of 10 eggs and threw them in the incubator.

I was so tied up with the neighbor's dog killing my other rooster Tuesday that I forgot to lock them down...

I went up to the farmhouse in the early am Wed and i hear cheeping...UHM...8 out of 10 of the eggs had hatched. All the chicks were in the bottom of my cabinet incubator. They had hatched in the turners and fell through the shelves below to the floor of the cabinet. I never have eggs hatch that early...

All of the chicks are happy little chicks...their legs seem fine and I don't forsee any issues. The other eggs were pipped when I repositioned them out of the turners and they hatched out yesterday as well. 10/10.

I feel so blessed that the little isbars are ok. Hatching in turners every 90 minutes, 50% humidity and a cooling cycle of 90 minutes every day....and then the fall.

I have hatched so many shipped eggs with heartbreak. So happy that hatching my own has been positive. Svart Hona's are due next.These will be our first chicks from our newly laying flock. Exciting!

My chicken died I think 2 hours ago I'm very sad
1f630.png
it was my sisters chicken and now she's sad .

Congratulations on the isbars where are the pictures? And good luck on the svart honas. So jealous right now would love a pullet or two of each of those breeds. What do your isbar eggs look like? I think the pictures I've seen of them just look beautiful. And I'm sorry for the loss of your roos. We lost one of ours recently too and another we had to put down due to extreme aggressive behavior. I hope you get one or two of their sons to enjoy and carry on the legacy.

Okay, first set of 6 eggs. Down to one that should hatch Saturday. Checked egg, I believe the chick has died....(Eggs would show development and then blood ring and bomb.) I'll give it the next few days and see. Second batch of 6, only 2 were fertile. They should hatch on the 18th. Set 7 on the 8th I hope I have better luck with them. This is the first time with such a bad hatch rate. So sad ;(

Okay, first set of 6 eggs. Down to one that should hatch Saturday. Checked egg, I believe the chick has died....(Eggs would show development and then blood ring and bomb.) I'll give it the next few days and see. Second batch of 6, only 2 were fertile. They should hatch on the 18th. Set 7 on the 8th I hope I have better luck with them. This is the first time with such a bad hatch rate. So sad ;(
Sounds like your rooster is on lunch break...tell him to get back to work!!!
Sorry your last egg doesn't look good. Hopefully you will be lucky and he will pop out! Nothing wrong with giving it a few more days...unless it's stinky and you are worried about it exploding.

I had a surprise guinea today. Was outside by the coop and I hear some cheeping and look down to find a baby running towards me. Hen nowhere to be found. So I scooped him up And put in the brooder. It's lonely. Put a pink pig in there but that's not very comforting. I'll post a pic when I can find the add a picture thing. No other activity in the nest. Saw the hen get back on the eggs when they went to roost.

Back
Top Bottom