September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Oh my goodness! I just went to my e-mail, and she just wrote me back. She is going to see what she can get for me, most of them are molting right now. That's ok..I think she will give me a deal for sure. I love her silkies, very pretty. Here's one mostly grown, and one that is just a bit behind her.
I just trimmed her eyes..so much fluff.

Well, there is the back end of the splash I hatched from hers. The other two are the non
muffed babies I got from another breeder..they are cute too.

And...my SG from her. I love her silkies and SG's! A Paint SG.

So Sophie is on day two of sitting. I tried to tell her about the birds and the bee's but she doesnt care. Now can someone tell me what to expect? Cause this is my first time with a broody chicken. I wish I could move her somewhere that's better but she wont let me touch her. And she won't get up to eat.

In other news the farm innovators went into lock down yesterday and I removed 3 of 21 eggs for clearness. They should hatch on Sunday if all goes as planned.

Oh my goodness! I just went to my e-mail, and she just wrote me back. She is going to see what she can get for me, most of them are molting right now. That's ok..I think she will give me a deal for sure. I love her silkies, very pretty. Here's one mostly grown, and one that is just a bit behind her.
I just trimmed her eyes..so much fluff.

Well, there is the back end of the splash I hatched from hers. The other two are the non
muffed babies I got from another breeder..they are cute too.

And...my SG from her. I love her silkies and SG's! A Paint SG.

love.gif
SQUEEEEE!! Love them!

If you have room in the coop for a dog kennel, put on some thick gloves, pick her up and put her in. Then you can look over the eggs really quick before placing them under her, again, wearing gloves and a thick jacket. Then shut her in. Some broodies may need to be forcibly removed from the nest once a day to eat, drink, and poop. She may try to go back to sitting in her old spot. Just pick her up and put her back in the kennel with her eggs. After a few days, she may get used to the routine and voluntarily get off the nest, do what she needs to, and then go right back to her eggs.

So I very quickly cheated and candled the Buttercup eggs and I don't think it's good news. I didn't see any movement in any and it looks like blood vessels have vanished in the two less developed looking ones. I don't think I'm going to get a single one :( I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. But to be honest mostly I just feel doubt right now. Looked on craigslist and there are some people near me that have some chicks from Murray McMurray and they got an egg layer variety. If none hatch I think we may try to get a couple of their chicks so our little black oegb aren't alone and they will have more friends to be integrated with when the time comes.

Last edited:
Guinea update. I now have six keets. Antbite even seems to be just fine. I'm amazed at the resilience of these birds. I have three more in my makeshift hatcher that have pipped. We'll see if any of those come out tonight. The rest of the eggs are in my makeshift incubator. I'll check those in the morning. It's been a fun day! Next weekend is hatch day for my seven marans eggs. I hope I have as good of luck with those.

No the hatchery has some hatchery choice layer variety packs that it says what it could be but I haven't gotten an answer of which variety they bought. Once they tell me that it should help. Lots of silver little chicks

Back
Top Bottom