September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
ok guys give it to me straight. I told my son to unplug a hear lamp and instead of unplugging that he unplugged my incubator
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
I can't type enough sad faces. It was unplugged for nearly 14 hours and got down to 78*. I plugged it back in but their probably gone right? I had almost all of my olive eggers and some partridge brahmas, am my lemon cuckoo orps in there. Not going to lie there may or may not be tears right now.

I wouldnt stop hoping. What day are they on? Get it back up to temp and give it a few days and then candle. You never know. Low temp is survivable.

Yea, I can imagine. My youngest ( 4 children in all), will be 20 in September. The other two are 24 (September) and 25. So I can feel it coming on.

My son just turned 24 a couple weeks ago

So as long as it doesn't stink it won't hurt the good ones?

Right! I've left them until lockdown

Adding some Black Copper Marans and Swedish Flower Hens to the mix tomorrow. Also getting some Lavender Orp eggs in the mail next week. I need to block ebay from my computer! Far too easy to buy eggs online.

Love my lav orps! And I'm scared to start ordering eggs on eBay! I'm avoiding shipped eggs altogether if possible. But I know one of these days, its gonna happen :oops:

1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
ok guys give it to me straight. I told my son to unplug a hear lamp and instead of unplugging that he unplugged my incubator
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
I can't type enough sad faces. It was unplugged for nearly 14 hours and got down to 78*. I plugged it back in but their probably gone right? I had almost all of my olive eggers and some partridge brahmas, am my lemon cuckoo orps in there. Not going to lie there may or may not be tears right now.

What day are you on? You may lose some, but many may survive. Dont give up yet!! I had a winter power outage mid-hatch and some made it. So let it restabilize and candle them again. I bet some are fine. :fl

I haven't been able to post because the internet was out for a while. Part of living in the country.

I've kept infertile and early quitter eggs in the incubator for the full 3 weeks and when I opened them none of them smelled. I'm not sure why that is, but it was lucky. One time, we opened an egg that was under a broody hen, and it exploded all over the place. Now I open all my eggs inside of a plastic bag.
tongue.png

We're on day 15 :(

The strong will most likely survive. Remember inside the egg it is warmer and they are generating their own heat a bit so it might have only got down to 85 or so. And not for a very long time. I would think some will still hatch. Think positive thoughts.

We're on day 15 :(
I think they will be ok. I think I read somewhere (here probably) that they put off a lot of heat after day 12. I know before I knew I couldn't understand why my temperature started spiking. Now I know I'll have to turn it down soon. Good luck
1f340.png

Yeah, we'll see what happens.  If this fails, I'm driving to the hatchery in Phoenix to buy eggs next time!
You are in Arizona? What hatchery in Phoenix? I can't find any good eggs here (and I'm not picky, just pure bred and good layer and not super expensive). That's why I got mine when I was in California.

Last edited:
The strong will most likely survive. Remember inside the egg it is warmer and they are generating their own heat a bit so it might have only got down to 85 or so. And not for a very long time. I would think some will still hatch. Think positive thoughts.

I think they will be ok. I think I read somewhere (here probably) that they put off a lot of heat after day 12. I know before I knew I couldn't understand why my temperature started spiking. Now I know I'll have to turn it down soon. Good luck
1f340.png

Thank you guys! I'm crossing my fingers! Sending Good vibes to my little chickies! We'll see how it turns out!

So I just candled my eggs. Day 11 Marans. I didn't think I'd see much and I've randomly looked at several over the past week and they all looked the same. Very dark and an air cell. Today was the same I was going row by row and thinking wow maybe they are all good or I just can't see I got to the last two rows and then I started seeing ones that were not dark. Like almost I could see inside. Like a small shaded area. I think I have maybe one entirely clear and another 6 that I think are early quitters. I just can't be sure if it's not the dark shell messing with what I can see. But my last hatch they started quitting one by one. Next hatch I'm getting some incubator accessories because I think there's cold and hot spots and humidity is off. I am trying to be optimistic that's 29 good ones? I really hope so.

So my plan to get Ameracauna eggs fell through. Hens quit laying. So hopefully will pick up some cuckoo Maran eggs tomorrow from a couple at church. Will set them as soon as I get home. :)

Back
Top Bottom