September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Wow exciting day! I've got chicks!!! I have 3 so far. And many more pips. I think the first one is blue, here she is. My first thought was wow are they usually soooo small but of course they have to fit in an egg. I forget.

@GitaBooks okay before I forget I wanted to ask why state you're in? I read you're planning on rehoming the little ones and I might be able to sneak them in since my hatch is going abysmally. 3 out of 21 left. 4 or so days to go. DH2B said I couldn't hatch anymore this year. He didn't say I couldn't be given chicks
wink.png
plus we just lost our sweetest roo to a freak accident so I could drag the sympathy vote out of him.
wink.png
just a thought lol what is little dude again? Sorry if I was too pushy. Chicken math is magnetically attracted to me.

As for everyone new to the hatch-a-long welcome of course you can join!!!
Congratulations on the babies all.

I'd love to give you my chicks, but I'm from Ohio, which is pretty far away. Little Dude is a "Dalmatian Bantam" a breed I am creating, which is why I hatched the chicks in the first place. I needed to see how well they bred true. Acorn, one of my roosters, has never been a father so far and so it was very surprising to see that he was the father of one of the chicks (Santos). Today my two other eggs are do and I can see what colors come out of those.

Chicken math! I have twice as many chickens as my family said I'm suppose to, but I like all of them. Choosing which ones to keep and which ones have to go is hard. Santos and Little Dude are so sweet.
smile.png

Wow exciting day! I've got chicks!!! I have 3 so far. And many more pips. I think the first one is blue, here she is. My first thought was wow are they usually soooo small but of course they have to fit in an egg. I forget.

Congrats! What a cute chick!

It's got a pretty big comb there. Not sure if this is true or not, but in our experience, big combs on newly hatched chicks means they will grow up to be roosters.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

Thanks for allowing me to hatch right along side all of you. I forgot to post my hatching dates. I stagger hatch so I have several dates.

3 chicken eggs (b.y. mixes) Sept. 13
5 duck (pekin and pekin mixes) Sept. 20
4 duck (same mix) Sept. 23
6 quail (coturnix) Sept. 23
2 chicken (b.y. mixes) Sept. 26

All but the quail are hatches for others. That is why the small/odd numbers. I don't usually hatch for myself this time of year. I am not fond of brooding inside because the weather is too chill/wet. Quail mature quickly and can brood outside after 2-3 weeks. I may set one more hatch this year. (Hubby has been wanting to pickle quail eggs but I want to get my breeding pairs established before the weather turns cold.)

Last edited:
Candled my eggs (Day 7) over the weekend and the Barred Rock and Splash Copper Maran eggs were all fertile and growing!
celebrate.gif
I wasn't to sure since the hens haven't been laying very long. This is a test run for them to make sure everything is "working right" before setting a full incubator. Now I just have to wait till Day 18...
pop.gif
for lockdown.

Congrats to all who have new chicks, pips and peeps, and the ones going into lockdown.

I ( for first time ever) candled a few of my eggs yesterday (day 10). I saw the baby chicks that were forming. I didn't candle all 201 of them. Just enough to see if there were any fertile ones. Haven't seen the roosters doing their job too much so was curious if they were.

Last edited:
Thanks for allowing me to hatch right along side all of you. I forgot to post my hatching dates. I stagger hatch so I have several dates.

3 chicken eggs (b.y. mixes) Sept. 13
5 duck (pekin and pekin mixes) Sept. 20
4 duck (same mix) Sept. 23
6 quail (coturnix) Sept. 23
2 chicken (b.y. mixes) Sept. 26

All but the quail are hatches for others. That is why the small/odd numbers. I don't usually hatch for myself this time of year. I am not fond of brooding inside because the weather is too chill/wet. Quail mature quickly and can brood outside after 2-3 weeks. I may set one more hatch this year. (Hubby has been wanting to pickle quail eggs but I want to get my breeding pairs established before the weather turns cold.)

Welcome to the hatch a long. Happy Hatching
1f423.png

I have 5 chicks. One has guts hanging out. Why does this happen to me?! (I've had it happen to a chick last time and once a puppy, worst thing ever!) And I have a pip on the wrong end. I'm just giving it time, but it's been pipped about 12 to 15 hours. How does it look? It's beak is out and it's breathing.

Back
Top Bottom