September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I have 5 chicks. One has guts hanging out. Why does this happen to me?! (I've had it happen to a chick last time and once a puppy, worst thing ever!) And I have a pip on the wrong end. I'm just giving it time, but it's been pipped about 12 to 15 hours. How does it look? It's beak is out and it's breathing.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know this is a little bit of a weird question, but is it really the guts or is it just infected yolk sac? Both are pretty nasty.

I've helped slow hatchers by picking away some of the shell but letting them push it open on their own. You could give this a try.

Best of luck!

I'm sorry to hear that. I know this is a little bit of a weird question, but is it really the guts or is it just infected yolk sac? Both are pretty nasty.

I've helped slow hatchers by picking away some of the shell but letting them push it open on their own. You could give this a try.

Best of luck!

Thank you. Whatever it was (I'm clearly clueless) fell off. But it's umbilical stump looks kind of puffy and red (not bloody). I think it'll be ok.

I have 5 chicks. One has guts hanging out. Why does this happen to me?! (I've had it happen to a chick last time and once a puppy, worst thing ever!) And I have a pip on the wrong end. I'm just giving it time, but it's been pipped about 12 to 15 hours. How does it look? It's beak is out and it's breathing.
Are you sure it's the babies inerds? Hanging out? Or, just more yolk to absorb? Give it some time, and, give this egg some time, the air sac probably dropped quite a ways down, or it was already up. I would give it 6 more hrs..then, I would help it, very very slowly picking the shell away, clearing the nostrils and eye. Let it hang out for another couple of hrs, then pick away some more. And so on. Good luck. Oh, wipe away membrane from the nose and eyes too, not just shell..you may get some blood, don't freak, just wipe away, then stop once those are cleared so it can breath, and the eye won't get infected.

Best of luck!

We think alike. :) So much ... stuff.. can hang onto the that area for a while.

Wow exciting day! I've got chicks!!! I have 3 so far. And many more pips. I think the first one is blue, here she is. My first thought was wow are they usually soooo small but of course they have to fit in an egg. I forget.
A blue! Love it!

Thank you. Whatever it was (I'm clearly clueless) fell off. But it's umbilical stump looks kind of puffy and red (not bloody). I think it'll be ok.

If you have some around, I always put Neosporin on my chicks cord area anyway..just the plain, not the kind with the pain relief in it.

I got x7 happy healthy mixed types of French Maran chicks hatch out of 21 Imported eggs. My success rate on ,y own or local eggs is about 95% hatch, but with the hassles of postage along with rough treatment despite the extremely good packaging, the rate with Imported eggs isn't that great.

Saying this I'm really happy with the chicks that have hatched as I can't get them in this country and these cute little bundles of fluff are excitedly investigating the brooder as I type.

So happy you got some to hatch! Yep, that shipping is disappointing most of the time. But...did you say imported?!? Wow..you had a pretty good hatch I'd say.

So happy you got some to hatch! Yep, that shipping is disappointing most of the time. But...did you say imported?!? Wow..you had a pretty good hatch I'd say.
Thanks, Unfortunately I lost one at 48hrs old my fave but it had problems, the rest are all doing very well jumping around all over the place and playing as well as eating n pooping lol.

Yes these guy's were from imported eggs so any hatch is pretty good n I'm happy with, I was expecting it to be a low hatch rate due to 2 postal services and a flight. But there future breeding stock so the genetics and breed alone make them valuable as there's so few of them over here.

Are you sure it's the babies inerds?  Hanging out?   Or, just more yolk to absorb?  Give it some time, and, give this egg some time, the air sac probably dropped quite a ways down, or it was already up.  I would give it 6 more hrs..then, I would help it, very very slowly picking the shell away, clearing the nostrils and eye.  Let it hang out for another couple of hrs, then pick away some more.  And so on.  Good luck.  Oh, wipe away membrane from the nose and eyes too, not just shell..you may get some blood, don't freak, just wipe away, then stop once those are cleared so it can breath, and the eye won't get infected.  

Ok thank you so much. It seems fine but I have a feeling it's trapped.

Back
Top Bottom