September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Ok I know I'm in the wrong thread but you are my friends and y'all are so so intelligent and knowledgeable. I just noticed that my black australorp,Wilson(who is raising three chicks),has an eye issue. Her right eye is swollen shut. And all around it is super swollen. I gently,with clean hands,opened the lid to see if her eye was actually gone,or still in there. Thankfully,it is inside and looks good. But when I opened it,a bit of clear liquid and puss is in there. Also I saw like a pus blob? Idk if it's actually something else that causing her irritation. Or if this is the result of an infection. I believe she's also got a bit of pus coming from her nostrils. It's dry but yellow. This is all recent!!!!! Help me help her! And protect the flock. I've got an antibiotic on hand labeled:Oxytetracycline HCI. Soluable powder. I've also got some penicillin capsules. For human use. I have a feed store very close if I need to get anything else. Opens tomorrow. Should I try a warm compress too? To help soothe,relieve pain,discomfort and itching??? Oh if I'd just stop typing and send this thing I'd get some awesome help and stop being a worry wart mama!!!!!! Oh God please protect my baby.

Ima a newbie u know a whole lot more than me but i wanted to give u a :hugs !!! Im so sorry :( i had dry pox come through my flock, my hen had an eye discharging white foam at the worst, i brought her to quarenteen the wet form immediatly, as no one else showed the wet form. We didnt loose her and no one else got the wet form. From the research i did at that time: sounds like an infection, but i am not a dr. I have given fish, and snakes pennicilan that i found in low doses at the reptile store, and im positive your feed store can help in the AM! Praying for you!

Thank you so much. Sometimes that's all I can do for someone else,is just to reply with my sympathy and support. I truly appreciate you praying for us. That means a whole lot.
1f62a.png
1f64f.png
I do have an antibiotic specifically for poultry. Don't you think it would be better than nothing? At least until I can figure out exactly what to do for her......

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Sometimes that's all I can do for someone else,is just to reply with my sympathy and support. I truly appreciate you praying for us. That means a whole lot.
1f62a.png
1f64f.png
I do have an antibiotic specifically for poultry. Don't you think it would be better than nothing? At least until I can figure out exactly what to do for her......

Awe!! I just had to reply! ive seen your posts, your so kind, in so many places, and im sorry it seems like no one else is around :( i do think a poultry antibio would be the way to go! Glad tou have quite the arsoneol! Others have written around BYC how theyve treated with compresses and a warm compress always make me feel good, that sounded to me like a good idea also! She seems to be eating, drinking and moving well??

Wow so sweet! Thank you. Yea it's late. Don't these things usually happen like this? Ha! I try to keep the essentials on hand for our cats,chickens,ducks and goats. I know that whenever I've had either pink eye or a sty,a hot compress always felt so good. For the few minutes it lasted. I think hot would be too much for her. Warm is the safest way to go without hurting her,but still being of help. Oh yea! She's awesome other than that. You wouldn't think she's only got the one eye right now.

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Ok I know I'm in the wrong thread but you are my friends and y'all are so so intelligent and knowledgeable. I just noticed that my black australorp,Wilson(who is raising three chicks),has an eye issue. Her right eye is swollen shut. And all around it is super swollen. I gently,with clean hands,opened the lid to see if her eye was actually gone,or still in there. Thankfully,it is inside and looks good. But when I opened it,a bit of clear liquid and puss is in there. Also I saw like a pus blob? Idk if it's actually something else that causing her irritation. Or if this is the result of an infection. I believe she's also got a bit of pus coming from her nostrils. It's dry but yellow. This is all recent!!!!! Help me help her! And protect the flock. I've got an antibiotic on hand labeled:Oxytetracycline HCI. Soluable powder. I've also got some penicillin capsules. For human use. I have a feed store very close if I need to get anything else. Opens tomorrow. Should I try a warm compress too? To help soothe,relieve pain,discomfort and itching??? Oh if I'd just stop typing and send this thing I'd get some awesome help and stop being a worry wart mama!!!!!! Oh God please protect my baby.

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like a sinus infection, which can be cured with some antibiotics. Keep her well fed, hydrated and calm and prevent her from breathing in lots of dust. Make sure her chicks don't get the antibiotics you are dosing her with, since they don't need it.
You can also try rinsing the eye out with a salt solution, to keep it clean.

I hope this helps and I hope she gets better soon.

Did you get my PM? That was fast! Thanks so much. So the antibiotic I mentioned above is strong enough? Can you recommend a dose. How about salt water? So should I keep her locked up in the run or let her range? I'm sorry I'm so unfamiliar with chicken issues. My cats...my goats.... No problem. I've got that down to an art. The poultry....HELP! Lol I'm just stills so naive. Glad y'all are here.
1f60c.png

On day 6 and out of the Ayams I put in 9 were fertile!!!! One died yesterday
1f615.png
1f622.png
and 2 i can't tell yet. Here is to crossing wings I don't loose anymore. On the other hand all 4 of my silver duckwings are fertile and 5 of my mixed bannies are to!!!!!! I can't wait till lock down
1f600.png
1f600.png
1f600.png
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom