September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Lol what do you think about a penicillin injection? I'll work on getting the Denegard. But in the meantime,she still needs an antibiotic I'm told. And I agree. All I have right now is that and the Oxytetracycline. Oh I can order off line if need be. It's an American Express card. Just not through a bank is all. Id rather burry cash on my farm then put it in a bank!!!! It's coming to that anyways...... Oh Lord,come for us soon.
1f607.png
is it expensive?

I set 10 eggs today. They are pullets' eggs which have lower hatch rates. I'm using an old still air LG which has a lower hatch rate. And I sold the rooster a week ago so fertility rate might be lower too. My goal is to get 2-6 chicks. If I get 0 I'll buy some eggs to hatch in October. :)

I set 10 eggs today. They are pullets' eggs which have lower hatch rates. I'm using an old still air LG which has a lower hatch rate. And I sold the rooster a week ago so fertility rate might be lower too. My goal is to get 2-6 chicks. If I get 0 I'll buy some eggs to hatch in October.
smile.png

How exciting! I just hatched some of my own eggs and they are running around and cheeping to each other right now.

Best of luck with your hatch!
thumbsup.gif

It was a tough day today. Little Sis hatched, which was incredible, but Jude didn't turn out so well. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to hatch, and I took a huge risk in opening the top to see if he was alive or not. I guess I took it too far. I'll never know if it was the fact he was too big or if it was me opening it that killed him, but he just passed a few minutes ago. He was my only chick that follow my Dalmatian standards and I may well have killed him. I know I can't blame myself complete, mistakes happen, some chicks are weak, but I woke up every few hours last night and exhausted my self in hopes I would get a healthy chick. At least I got three of them.
...please don't beat yourself up about this...I have been in your shoes so many many times. Out of the many I have tried to save by assisting...all but one perished. What's heartbreaking is to nurture them along for a week and then have them pass.
...Sometimes it is just in the genetics that there is something wrong, may be our incubation skills, our incubator or just the **** weather. So many different variables at play. Know that you did the best that you could at the time and you did what you felt was right for the little guy.
....best of luck in your future endeavors!

Here is my chick who doesn't have a name yet 1 of 3 eggs set in the brinsea she hatched on 8/31.
I found my duck egg pipped in the brinsea dried out
sad.png
. I think I will leave that one to just chick eggs.
My farm innovators has 21 eggs on Thursday will candle them and take the turner out as we will go into lock down.
In the little giant we set 12 duck eggs 2 moved to brinsea for lock down 10 were clear or didn't make it to the lock down stage.
Second turn we set 15 duck eggs in the little giant so far 4 have exploded
sad.png
. 11 were clear today 3 have good veining/movement and 1 is iffy.
Today we set 7 chick eggs in the brinsea. I know, I'm crazy. Lol
Congrats on the cute chick! I have tried ducks twice and not had any luck. I have no idea what the trick is...
I have very good luck usually with the brinsea.

I still have 3 eggs in the bator, but I think my hatch is over. 18 of 24 hatched. Not bad!!

8 golden sebright (out of 13)
1 silver sebright (only 1)
4 silver duckwing old English game bantams (of 4)
5 black tail buff Japanese (of 6)

I'm extremely pleased!

Out of ovations; but thats good stuff, great job!

Thank you greatly for your very detailed response. I appreciate every bit of help and knowledge I can obtain. So today when I checked in on her,she had slightly opened her eye and there was no puss. Thank you Lord. Just a little bit of clear liquid. It's still very swollen and hot around the eye area. Her nose has a bit of clear discharge as well. I went to my feed store and purchased Terramycin ointment. They did not have an injectable antibiotic specifically for poultry. But I did get,just in case,a vile of penicillin. (Injectable) However,idk if it's safe to administer,what dosage and if it's even necessary. Any idea? I still need to give her an antibiotic right? To fight the internal infection in her sinuses. Ok so again,will the penicillin work? I have another feed store close. In fact,I'll be by it tomorrow. She did very well today. They also didn't have a salt solution for rinsing of the eye. So I made up a lukewarm water plus salt mix. I gently rinsed out her eye using a plastic syringe. Then,I applied a thin strip of the ointment and gently massaged in and also a dab around the outer part of her eye area. She did so good. I could tell that after she realized I wasn't trying to murder her,she appreciated my concern and help. Oh I love her. Ok so go ahead and add the soluble antibiotic to the entire flocks water or just her babies? They've all been within the same roosting area. But her chicks nestle with her the closest. Thank you again for your caring heart.

I am SO glad that you have found a plan of action and a little bit of recovery!!!

Where did you get your Oxy?   Not sure about that.

Here is a thread on Baytryl..looks great!   I would go for that. 

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/945918/my-first-sinus-infection

I got it at my local feed store. It's a bag. You mix with water. She's doing so well today! Her eye is half open!!! Oh I'm super happy. I'm still going to treat the flock. I noticed one of my new hens has a runny nose. Just what I thought....I brought in this funk to my babies.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

@GitaBooks
I am so sorry you lost a chick. That is so hard. I had one that I was helping with my first hatch died while I was trying to help it. No bleeding and it didn't get cold just died.
Still wishing I could take your babies that you need a home for. You should go for a road trip. ;)

...please don't beat yourself up about this...I have been in your shoes so many many times. Out of the many I have tried to save by assisting...all but one perished. What's heartbreaking is to nurture them along for a week and then have them pass.
...Sometimes it is just in the genetics that there is something wrong, may be our incubation skills, our incubator or just the **** weather. So many different variables at play. Know that you did the best that you could at the time and you did what you felt was right for the little guy.
....best of luck in your future endeavors!

Thanks. That means a lot to me.
I'm glad that my other chicks are strong, a little too strong! They are so loud at night! Lol.
smile.png

@GitaBooks
I am so sorry you lost a chick. That is so hard. I had one that I was helping with my first hatch died while I was trying to help it. No bleeding and it didn't get cold just died.
Still wishing I could take your babies that you need a home for. You should go for a road trip.
wink.png

I wish I could, a road trip before winter sounds fun.
smile.png
Some day soon I'm hoping to learn how to safely ship chicks, since I'm planning on selling "Dalmatians" regularly.

Back
Top Bottom