September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Day 22 here: no signs.  I don't know what to do.  I was gone due to business the last two days, with the only access to my incubator being a web cam and a friend who came over.  Humidity stayed at 60-65% during lockdown, and temp has been fairly steady.  They looked ok on day 18 when I locked them down, if not a bit underdeveloped for some of them (it was definitely day 18: I marked it off on a calendar).  How long do I wait before I call the whole hatch a bust?  This is my first time trying this and could only find ebay eggs but was hoping for at least a couple.

Awe that's too bad. I'm in Gilbert, AZ and the temps have been outrageous and I wouldn't trust shipped to not have been cooked at some point. I only have 3 hatches under my belt and I know I'm too inexperienced to hatch shipped (to the desert of all places). There's no eggs here. So I bought 3 dozen fertile eggs from Whole Foods. Chandler, AZ. They were $3.99. At least you can perfect your incubator. Good luck
1f340.png

@GitaBooks
It's okay I completely understand. I would probably show up at your door if it wasn't for us not having the money of the time either. Still wish I could have little dude.

I've been running my butt off lately, so much to do lol! I've got a couple yard eggs in the hatcher, day 21 is tomorrow.

The fridge incubator works like a charm! Nice steady temp and keeps my humidity low (I dry hatch) by setting a shallow bowl with a small amount of water in it. I have to hand turn but I can do four doz at a time keeping them all in cartons and using a wedge back and forth, much like my auto turner in my farm innovators 'bator. I want to think up auto turners though as I caved and candled the Isbar and Bresse eggs I set on 9/4 and they all seem to be doing great and I think it's due to having the auto turner.
In the fridge I just set: 4 doz rainbow eggs (some pure, some mixed breed), Blue Bresse, Swedish Flower Hens, and EEs. 7 doz total, I believe. Hoping for a huge hatch! I have Silkie eggs on the way but I'm going to let them rest a bit longer so I can get the hatcher cleaned, ect before setting that batch.

Day 14 for my broody. She is doing a wonderful job so far. 11 eggs nearly full of growing chick. Some look like they will be ready for hatching in about 4 more days or so. A couple look like they might not hatch for another 6 or so.
And my August hatch chicks got their first trip outside today. Their grow out coop will be ready by the end of next week. I hope that momma hen will do a good job with these babies, but it's her first time brooding, so I have no idea how she's going to be with the chicks or how the flock will react. I'll have everything setup for the little ones, just in case I need to remove them.
I'm going to be a nervous wreck next week.

There are no eggs here and nothing like a good hatch to make you itch for another. So I decided to try the store bought eggs. I got 3 dozen fertile eggs from Whole Foods. The Julian date is 243 which I believe is 8/31. I set them today (9/8) so they've been refrigerated for about 9 or 10 days. So I'm not optimistic. But even a few chicks would be cool. They are brown. I'm assuming Rhode Island Reds? Anyone have any advice?

No experience on store bought refrigerated eggs, but want to wish you luck! Let us know how they do!

I would give it until the end of day 23... then I'd candle, see if there's any movement at all. If temp has been low, that can cause later hatches.

If there are no pips yet, I'd candle some now. See what's going on.

I have silkies hatching as I type this and then I have cream legbar and sulmtalers incubating
smile.png

YaY! Pics please!

Back
Top Bottom