September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Well, candled again Lockdown tomorrow, nice air pocket, but seems solid mass, no movement that I see.
Hoping not all dead, i think i see line similar to bloood ring and most veining seems hidden or nonexisrant now.
I have videos of 3 earlier days but cannot seem tp upload them
1f627.png

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Well, candled again Lockdown tomorrow, nice air pocket, but seems solid mass, no movement that I see.
Hoping not all dead, i think i see line similar to bloood ring and most veining seems hidden or nonexisrant now.
I have videos of 3 earlier days but cannot seem tp upload them
1f627.png

Don't fret, this close to hatching, they will look like solid masses. Just be patient. Time will tell.. and generally, it's better than what you expect on day 18.

I candled for the first time since I set the eggs. It's day 10. Now, I saw about half with veins & even a couple with some movement so I'm trying not to get too excited but then there's some that don't seem as far developed at all. Is there a chance for them to just be late bloomers or should they just be pulled at this point or just leave them in there? They don't stink & there's some veins but I don't see the swimming & tumbling motion like some others.

I candled for the first time since I set the eggs. It's day 10. Now, I saw about half with veins & even a couple with some movement so I'm trying not to get too excited but then there's some that don't seem as far developed at all. Is there a chance for them to just be late bloomers or should they just be pulled at this point or just leave them in there? They don't stink & there's some veins but I don't see the swimming & tumbling motion like some others.

I always like to give mine an extra chance. If they are still clear by day 15 then you can crack them open.

Candled tonight. Looks like 2 have internally pipped. The air cells nice and big yesterday, but have disappeared now. I'm really hoping to hear chirping under momma hen in the morning. 4 more were pushing against the air cells.

@GitaBooks
@everyone else too

Well, everyone, I just sent my confirmation email off to the person from craigslist with layer chicks from McMurray, and we're getting all but the 6 or so they want. I think a total of 8-9, so I will be needing lots of help on breeds so if everyone could please be brushing up on their McMurray catalogs I would appreciate it. These people have been wonderful and have even offered to drive the chicks down from up by Madison as they have ties down here and they gave us a discounted price on the chicks. I am ecstatic! Still kinda bummed about my eggs as my hope has fizzled but I promised them(the eggs) I would give them another day or two just to be sure. I am fairly certain that DH2B only agreed to these chicks BC he feels sorry about my abysmal hatch this time around but he denies it. I'll have you know we discussed it like adults(both of us stating the pros and cons) and I did not throw a fit like a spoiled toddler denied a toy. However I am glad he made the choice he did I just hope he doesn't regret it.

Had all but the two little black oegb outside today. Integrating the silkies(and two bonus bantams) with the main flock is going pretty well haven't made them sleep with the big girls yet worried about them being "trapped" and getting picked on. Getting 3-4 eggs a day most days from the big girls planning on locking them up hopefully tomorrow to see if they're laying elsewhere.
On a side note my splash silkie is a pullet(99% positive) but I'm now suspecting of my three white ones I may have 2-3 roos plus a partridge roo and a buff I can't tell about yet. That would be tragic. Help.

Working on the coop a lot today, I hadn't realized how intensive it was going to be building our mini barn coop tractor that we designed ourselves until DH2Bs father looked at it and said we were nuts this from a man who is a farmer woodworker and craftsman. Gulp. Almost ready to start with plywood just a couple more things, unless DH2B decides to rebuild a couple walls that have been made from repurposed wood and aren't quite square BC of that. Lol

[/quote]
Don't fret, this close to hatching, they will look like solid masses. Just be patient. Time will tell.. and generally, it's better than what you expect on day 18.
[/quote]

Thank you, this kind of support is one reason I follow this site.
1f496.png
1f423.png

I will post pictures Wednesday or Thursday depending on how it goes.
1f60a.png

So far I haven't killed them! YAYness! :D

He is moving less than he was yesterday though. Do they kick around less as they get older? That, or he may have been snoozing...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom