September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Update: Brenna is making progress. But also some weird noises! She sounds like a goose!!! Does anybody know of any sounds a young roo will make prior to belting out the first crow? Ahhh I hope she's not a roo. I was chocking it up to her cold. But now I'm doubting that I got even one hen out of the three new chickens!!!!! Doh!

@NanaKat
The Colombian wyandotte chick is it silverfish or not?

I have been doing research and think some of them may be silver spangled hamburgs has anyone raised this breed or heard anything about them? Going from Meyers' to McMurray's websites and both sites say different things about them but they seem to have a lot of favorable reviews.

@Gloryjasmine
Well Hunny I'm sorry if Brenna does turn out to be a roo. You know where to come if she is a he. We are planning on posting two buff orps this week on craigslist and I still have silkies if you want though I'm no longer sure about any of their sexes lol. Also I'll be getting those chicks Friday and I may let you take a couple of them once I figure out what breeds I actually have and how many of each. Still hoping for a Blue Andalusian but I'm starting to wonder. Not knowing is killing me, I must! find out! Lol

And just like that I have a pip!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Mine have begun to start hatching early this morning.

Did a glance count and there were 12/15 and more starting out of the shell.

The chick that needed assistance has splayed legs. I think it's why she had such a hard time hatching. She doesn't use her feet at all. She can move her legs, but she can't use her feet to grip, even on a paper towel. I've splinted the legs, but I don't have much hope for this chick making it.
Quote:
She's got plenty of energy, she just can't use her feet at all. I think it's the reason she couldn't zip properly. She can kick her legs, but the toes don't move. I can make her stand properly with support. But when she's picked up, her feet just kind of dangle. I think it's a neurological problem.

I am sorry that your chick isn't doing so well. I had a quail chick hatch with severely splayed legs (perfect/full split). The chick was able to hatch on its own but once out of the shell couldn't get its legs beneath it. I splinted the legs, but unfortunately it didn't adjust well. With the splint on it tossed(flipped, through, acrobated(pick your adjective)) itself about the entire brooder. It died two days later. However, I have had a chicken chick (one of my first hatches) that needed a splint for splayed leg and did absolutely great. That little chick grew up to be a rather large RIR mix rooster.

It is hard to tell which way they will go. Just watch to make sure the splint is snug but not overly tight and that the chick can access food and water safely while wearing the splint. You may also need to do a little physical therapy with the chick to build strength in the legs and feet.

Back
Top Bottom