September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

So the weak chick that needed assistance hatching is still alive, and is a bit stronger. I had to pull the remaining chick from momma hen. She just wasn't doing a good job of protecting the chicks from the rest of the flock. She accidentally stomped a few chicks while charging another hen. I sold 3, and left her with a single chick, but the little one was injured today.
Now these two get to keep each other company.

Woooooooohooooooooooooo!
Look at who hatched.. bad aircell and all.

Hatching results:
Set 201 eggs.
94 eggs were infertile. 45 of those were from the Araucana rooster. I feel though he was just a little too young yet.

13 eggs had various stages of death during developing so did not hatch.
1 died after hatching and 2 late hatchers were weak and were culled.

91 survivors 43 (non-naked necked) sold today.

48 with naked necks all in the brooder doing well and already starting to eat and drink.

Result is 87.85% hatch rate.

Was the dad a pure Araucana? I hear that being tailess makes it harder for them to breed.

So the weak chick that needed assistance hatching is still alive, and is a bit stronger. I had to pull the remaining chick from momma hen. She just wasn't doing a good job of protecting the chicks from the rest of the flock. She accidentally stomped a few chicks while charging another hen. I sold 3, and left her with a single chick, but the little one was injured today.
Now these two get to keep each other company.

Yeah, some hens are better then others with chicks. I've seen that first-hand with my chickies. I'm really glad they are doing well though!
smile.png
They're so cute!

More pics of Mr. Cutie!

I love the colors! What breed is he?

[COLOR=333333]Hi I am so excited right now I went to my grandparent to find three baby goslings they are so cute will keep updated[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
How cute i love goslings. What a wonderful surprise. @Purpletie3 well it has been good for 24 hours. I was hopeful. Also the broody chicken is sitting on 6 eggs. She ran off the nest this afternoon for about 30 minutes. Than came running back like she was in a marathon. I think seeing a chicken run is the funniest thing ever. Makes me laugh every time. The duck eggs are in lock down for the last couple days.

celebrate.gif
WooHoo!! The last two ducklings hatched!
celebrate.gif

The first three are already fluffed out and in the brooder. The last two are still in the hatcher drying. Due to the late hour here I may let them remain in the hatcher until morning. At that time they will join their mates in the brooder. Yay!! 5/5 hatched!

[COLOR=333333]Hi I am so excited right now I went to my grandparent to find three baby goslings they are so cute will keep updated[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
How cute i love goslings. What a wonderful surprise. @Purpletie3 well it has been good for 24 hours. I was hopeful. Also the broody chicken is sitting on 6 eggs. She ran off the nest this afternoon for about 30 minutes. Than came running back like she was in a marathon. I think seeing a chicken run is the funniest thing ever. Makes me laugh every time. The duck eggs are in lock down for the last couple days.
Lol!!! :lau. Me tooooooo! My rooster,Alleyoops,is so big(fat) that when he chases the ladies it's like he's waddling! It's hilarious. He's like wait up ! And my ducks ...they look like they're dragging a poopy diaper! It's cute but I can't help but to laugh. Lol

Last edited:
So the weak chick that needed assistance hatching is still alive, and is a bit stronger. I had to pull the remaining chick from momma hen. She just wasn't doing a good job of protecting the chicks from the rest of the flock. She accidentally stomped a few chicks while charging another hen. I sold 3, and left her with a single chick, but the little one was injured today. Now these two get to keep each other company.
Sounds very familiar. I'm sorry. Good call on the stuffed animal. Once they're feeling a bit stronger,they'll use it, I'm positive of that. And when they do,it's most precious! My two OEB chicks are now in a homemade tractor in the coop,and I put their mama frog in there. Would you believe they still love that thing?! Now they perch on her and praise her with their dookey....but it's still a point! Lol

Back
Top Bottom