September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I have both Golden and Silver Sebrights, as well as multiple sebright mixes (both golden and silver) as I am working on a mix-breed that involves the species. It also involves OEGBs, but I only have two of those that are pure, Silver duckwing and Red Pyle.

Here are my Golden Sebright/Silver Duckwing OEGB mixes

Here is a Red Pyle OEGB, Silver Sebright, and silkie mix

Here are three of my Silver Sebright chicks (Spock, Linnaeus, and Diamond)

Love 'em! I have a couple of silkies too! Still not sure how all of my pens are going to end up, so I may see some similar mixes as yours!

Two of my marans chicks. Different colors. I have two of the darker ones and two of the more silver ones. Oh and one guinea. Pink pig was in there for the guinea while waiting for the others to hatch, but the marans seem to like it so its still there. I had a tragedy this morning. One of my marans was dead. Don't know what happened. So out of the original 7 eggs, one was not fertile, 5 hatched with that one not making it, and 1 egg left. I don't think its any good, but will wait until tomorrow to make sure. I hope the 4 remaining chicks make it. They seem to be doing ok so far.

Oh, and I still have some guinea eggs that seem to still be alive. Go figure. One had pipped this morning and is cheeping. If it makes it, I'll just add to the group. And the remaining guinea eggs that are moving around, I'll stick those in the real incubator as soon as the last marans chick graduates to the brooder. DH is getting tired of all hoorah. But I just can't throw out an egg that still has a chance.

Two of my marans chicks. Different colors. I have two of the darker ones and two of the more silver ones. Oh and one guinea. Pink pig was in there for the guinea while waiting for the others to hatch, but the marans seem to like it so its still there. I had a tragedy this morning. One of my marans was dead. Don't know what happened. So out of the original 7 eggs, one was not fertile, 5 hatched with that one not making it, and 1 egg left. I don't think its any good, but will wait until tomorrow to make sure. I hope the 4 remaining chicks make it. They seem to be doing ok so far.

Oh, and I still have some guinea eggs that seem to still be alive. Go figure. One had pipped this morning and is cheeping. If it makes it, I'll just add to the group. And the remaining guinea eggs that are moving around, I'll stick those in the real incubator as soon as the last marans chick graduates to the brooder. DH is getting tired of all hoorah. But I just can't throw out an egg that still has a chance.

Yeah, I love to give eggs as much a chance as I can. I'm sorry about the chick you lost.

Just had a "Yay! Sob! Yay!" day.

The second set of duck eggs and first set of quail eggs went in the hatcher for lock-down on Sunday. There was confirmed movement in all the ducks eggs (quail eggs are to small to see anything by this point). Woke up Monday to the first pipped duck egg. Yay! Didn't get too excited because ducklings take forever from pip to zip. Woke up this morning to two more duck eggs pipped. Yay! Noticed yellow staining and a dark spot on the last egg. Concerned, I pulled it out to candle. I am not sure how or why, but the air cell slipped to the narrow end of the egg and there is no noticeable movement. Sob! I feared the worst, thinking the duckling is most definitely malpositioned away from the air cell if not dead already. Hoping for the best I go to place the questionable egg back in the hatcher when I turn the egg and see a pip hole and hear peeping. Yay!

Bonus: The first quail egg has pipped. Yay!

Hatching eggs is not for the faint-of-heart!

A few pics of my 2-week olds, hatched 9/7, 9/8
How sweet Congrats

So i have two ducklings and 4 barred rock chicks. I lost the chick that I found on his back this morning :(
There is still 7 eggs in the brinsea to hatch yet. And thank goodness that thing does its own count down because I forgot when I set them.

So i have two ducklings and 4 barred rock chicks. I lost the chick that I found on his back this morning
sad.png

There is still 7 eggs in the brinsea to hatch yet. And thank goodness that thing does its own count down because I forgot when I set them.

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with the rest of your eggs!

Just had a "Yay! Sob! Yay!" day.

The second set of duck eggs and first set of quail eggs went in the hatcher for lock-down on Sunday. There was confirmed movement in all the ducks eggs (quail eggs are to small to see anything by this point). Woke up Monday to the first pipped duck egg. Yay! Didn't get too excited because ducklings take forever from pip to zip. Woke up this morning to two more duck eggs pipped. Yay! Noticed yellow staining and a dark spot on the last egg. Concerned, I pulled it out to candle. I am not sure how or why, but the air cell slipped to the narrow end of the egg and there is no noticeable movement. Sob! I feared the worst, thinking the duckling is most definitely malpositioned away from the air cell if not dead already. Hoping for the best I go to place the questionable egg back in the hatcher when I turn the egg and see a pip hole and hear peeping. Yay!

Bonus: The first quail egg has pipped. Yay!

Hatching eggs is not for the faint-of-heart!

That's just what its like for me too!

Best of luck with your hatching!

Two of my marans chicks. Different colors. I have two of the darker ones and two of the more silver ones. Oh and one guinea. Pink pig was in there for the guinea while waiting for the others to hatch, but the marans seem to like it so its still there. I had a tragedy this morning. One of my marans was dead. Don't know what happened. So out of the original 7 eggs, one was not fertile, 5 hatched with that one not making it, and 1 egg left. I don't think its any good, but will wait until tomorrow to make sure. I hope the 4 remaining chicks make it. They seem to be doing ok so far. Oh, and I still have some guinea eggs that seem to still be alive. Go figure. One had pipped this morning and is cheeping. If it makes it, I'll just add to the group. And the remaining guinea eggs that are moving around, I'll stick those in the real incubator as soon as the last marans chick graduates to the brooder. DH is getting tired of all hoorah. But I just can't throw out an egg that still has a chance.
I'm sorry honey. Tragedy is so painful. No matter what kind. Uplifting you in prayer. That's so cool to see some people taking my advice! Here's a cool tip: turn pink pig over and prop her slightly on all 4 's,if you can, so that when they nestle,they get the plush side. They won't mind a bit of the weight on them. That's what makes them feel so secure. And like they're with mama. Don't worry about the weight either Bc their ma puts a whole lot more on them. You can cover them(their cage) with a light binky at dusk time to train them for when they're out with the others. (ranging or in the run...) If lights are on,it'll keep them up. Tweeting alllllll night! After a few,quietly lift the binky and I'll bet you they're nestled in under pink pig!!!! So so sweet.
263a.png
1f618.png
(I also added a light dish towel on the inside of the cage. I had it where it was covering mama frog,lightly. Just for some coziness. A lil darker and secure area they could have. In case they wanted to nap during the day. Bc newborns often do that. And they did several times....But then they got to the point of wanting light first thing in the morning! I'm telling you they know!!! So I'd partially uncover the cage and man....they'd sing to me all day!!!
1f603.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png
PS... as I've said before...chickens have internal clocks. Dawn,rise. Dusk,sleep. Anyone having trouble with them being up all night,this is due to their body clock conflicting. (This is why breeders put several artificial lights in the factory as to trick the chickens into thinking it's daytime. Therefore it's time to lay. They do this to these poor chickens round the clock. 24/7!!!) They have very poor eyesight when the sun starts to set,so that is why they all flock to the safest place they know. The coop. Then at dawn,as their eyesight begins to restore,they are all game for being Chickiedoos!!! Hope maybe I've helped someone here....
1f60f.png
1f60f.png
1f60f.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry honey. Tragedy is so painful. No matter what kind. Uplifting you in prayer.

That's so cool to see some people taking my advice! Here's a cool tip: turn pink pig over and prop her slightly on all 4 's,if you can, so that when they nestle,they get the plush side. They won't mind a bit of the weight on them. That's what makes them feel so secure. And like they're with mama. Don't worry about the weight either Bc their ma puts a whole lot more on them. You can cover them(their cage) with a light binky at dusk time to train them for when they're out with the others. (ranging or in the run...) If lights are on,it'll keep them up. Tweeting alllllll night! After a few,quietly lift the binky and I'll bet you they're nestled in under pink pig!!!! So so sweet.
263a.png
1f618.png
(I also added a light dish towel on the inside of the cage. I had it where it was covering mama frog,lightly. Just for some coziness. A lil darker and secure area they could have. In case they wanted to nap during the day. Bc newborns often do that. And they did several times....But then they got to the point of wanting light first thing in the morning! I'm telling you they know!!! So I'd partially uncover the cage and man....they'd sing to me all day!!!
1f603.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png

PS... as I've said before...chickens have internal clocks. Dawn,rise. Dusk,sleep. Anyone having trouble with them being up all night,this is due to their body clock conflicting. (This is why breeders put several artificial lights in the factory as to trick the chickens into thinking it's daytime. Therefore it's time to lay. They do this to these poor chickens round the clock. 24/7!!!) They have very poor eyesight when the sun starts to set,so that is why they all flock to the safest place they know. The coop. Then at dawn,as their eyesight begins to restore,they are all game for being Chickiedoos!!! Hope maybe I've helped someone here....
1f60f.png
1f60f.png
1f60f.png

That's why i love those brinsea ecobrooders...no light . The chirping stops at night. I also tend to leave my chicks in low light areas. It makes them stay calm. When i turn on the lights it's commando time. They are dive bombing each other...seeing who can fly...instant chaois in the brooder.

I used to try and not wake them up in the morning...So, I would keep the lights off as long as possible so I could get my reading done in peace and quiet....shhhh don't wake up the dog, the kids, the boyfriend...it became a real talent!

Back
Top Bottom