September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

It can take anywhere from 2 hours to over 24 hours to hatch after pipping. It's hard work to break through that shell, and a chick needs to rest before attempting to zip. The blood vessels don't begin to recede until after that first pip, and the yolk needs to finish absorbing. All of that takes time.
If the chick is attempting to zip, but isn't making any progress after 2 hours, then you can try to start assisting. But you need to be very careful, and go slowly. And stop if there is any bleeding.

Gotcha. I'll see how far he gets in a few hours. Thanks! :)

Gotcha. I'll see how far he gets in a few hours. Thanks!
smile.png
Some of mine are out in an hour my longest one 28 hours...Under 12 seems typical. Each one is different!

Somehow mine seem to take a full 24 hours almost every time from the first pip to final zip.

Some of mine are out in an hour my longest one 28 hours...Under 12 seems typical. Each one is different!
So, now that I'm at work I do hope the little shell head waits until I get home so I can watch!
fl.gif

That'll give him 8 hours to waste resting up
lol.png

Don't forget, you guys, that after you're all through here,the October hatch a long is in full swing!!!! Even if you're not hatching,please please join everyone!!! Just love ya guys!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
Congratulations on all of the successful hatches. And heartfelt condolences to those of you who experienced heartbreak. I'm praying for all of the remaining September babies!!!

Day 17 and I swear I saw a wiggle. Phew. Now to prepare for helping out these guys. The pullet eggs have a pretty tough membrane. Cranking up humidity in the morning. Sterilizing tweezers and sponges. I hope early hatchers come out tomorrow because I'm gone most of the day Sunday. So, chicks who are not listening to me: your options are tomorrow, or Monday through Friday. Haha. Realistically Tuesday and Wednesday are most likely anyway.

Back
Top Bottom