September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I think there is a Trader Joe fertile egg hatching thread on this web site. I tried all their eggs when I was first incubating...no fertile eggs in CNY!!! They are usually leghorns. I don't think anyone has had problems with disease either.

Yeah, I was guessing they'd be leghorns. 3 days and counting!

celebrate.gif
Here are the pictures I promised!
celebrate.gif

The lone chick. She (hoping for a she) is in with the ducklings due to her size, too big for the quail brooder.

The two ducklings I kept from the second duck egg set. They are already getting too tall for their brooder. I had to retrieve a panicked Elvis from the floor last night. He managed to get out of the brooder and couldn't get back in.

I went to the grocery store earlier. When I left there were two pipped quail eggs. When I returned there were three hatched quail chicks.​
Very cute~ Congrats!!!!

Very cool I don't think there are any fertile eggs sold in stores around here but it would be very cool to find some and try. Drat! This deal with DH2B about not hatching any more until spring. :( I'm having withdrawals lol I can't wait to get the chicks from Faraday40 hope its not too long from now. Can't wait til spring when I can hatch to my heart's content. He is worried about numbers but I say we definitely need more birds. Just selling the three buffs last weekend our flock seems so small. Just 17 and then the 8 silkies and two bantams and lastly the two black oegb which I'm certain one is a little boy. Of course I knew that would probably be the case but I so wanted to have them both be pullets for Nugget. The pullet is Minnie and the cockeral is Mickey wish we could keep Mickey and breed more blacks but I don't want Nugget to have competition. I'm hoping to trade him back to the breeder(aka our friend's Dad) for more hatching eggs this spring. Hopefully some blues and splashes. Lol

celebrate.gif
Here are the pictures I promised!
celebrate.gif

The lone chick. She (hoping for a she) is in with the ducklings due to her size, too big for the quail brooder.

The two ducklings I kept from the second duck egg set. They are already getting too tall for their brooder. I had to retrieve a panicked Elvis from the floor last night. He managed to get out of the brooder and couldn't get back in.

I went to the grocery store earlier. When I left there were two pipped quail eggs. When I returned there were three hatched quail chicks.​

Congrats! The quails are so cute!

hit.gif
. So I just wanted to update all of you guys that assisted me with my two sick hens. Wilson is out of the woods. She is doing wonderfully. I'm very relieved. On the other hand....Brenna was so so sick. She continued to just get worse. (She had a very thick mucous in her mouth and nose. She struggled to breathe. She made a loud goose-like noise. And there was this stinky matted funk on her inner feathers. She smelled like a nasty,wet dog. She still remained one of the sweetest hens I've ever had. Too bad the meds weren't enough. ) I hated seeing her suffer. And my husband and I decided that for her sake and the safety of the flock,to send her to heaven to be with Hope. So as I write,I'm in tears. I have never culled a chicken. The only way I was comfortable with was using my .22. One shot,one kill. Instant. No suffering. Its devastating to me,but I know it was necessary. I will NEVER ever get chickens from just any ole someone!!!! And not separate them at first..... Stupid on my part. I'm praying that no other bird gets sick. The water is medicated. Would y'all please pray with me? Thank you again for all the advice.

I'm so, so sorry about Brenna. It is always so hard to see them sick like that. Don't beat yourself up about it, you did everything you could.

I'm praying for you.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. I did something similar and it was a year ago and still filled with regret. I bought a Cuy not realizing they carry foreign diseases and it didn't kill my guinea pigs but killed my entire herd of flemish giant rabbits. It was devastating!

I'm so sorry.
sad.png

Some grocery stores sell fertile eggs.  I have 10 from Trader Joe's in the bator on day 18 this afternoon.  so far, 10/12 are growing.  We'll see what happens with mine in a few days.  (At least that's what I assume by whole foods eggs). 

Yep. From Whole Foods grocery store. You look like you are having better luck than me. Mine quit at every stage one by one til I'm left with one lone chick. Now I have to buy it a friend, the feed store has day old Australorps.

Quote: The Trader Joe closest to me does not sell fertile eggs. I already tried their eggs. The closest Whole Foods is too far of a drive and would probably have better luck with shipped eggs. There is a local egg seller whose eggs are fertile. I have had pretty good luck about 90% hatch from those eggs. All the chicks are mixes with feathered feet and all but one have been roosters so far.

Yep. From Whole Foods grocery store. You look like you are having better luck than me. Mine quit at every stage one by one til I'm left with one lone chick. Now I have to buy it a friend, the feed store has day old Australorps.

Well, like they say "Don't count your chickens before they hatch".

:celebrate Here are the pictures I promised! :celebrate
The lone chick. She (hoping for a she) is in with the ducklings due to her size, too big for the quail brooder.​
The two ducklings I kept from the second duck egg set. They are already getting too tall for their brooder. I had to retrieve a panicked Elvis from the floor last night. He managed to get out of the brooder and couldn't get back in.​
Adorable congrats! I hatched quail once they are super fast.

Back
Top Bottom