September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

:celebrate Here are the pictures I promised! :celebrate
The lone chick. She (hoping for a she) is in with the ducklings due to her size, too big for the quail brooder.​
The two ducklings I kept from the second duck egg set. They are already getting too tall for their brooder. I had to retrieve a panicked Elvis from the floor last night. He managed to get out of the brooder and couldn't get back in.​
I went to the grocery store earlier. When I left there were two pipped quail eggs. When I returned there were three hatched quail chicks.​
So sweet! Great pics!!

I had to buy some friends for Baby Whole Foods
1f601.png
So I ended up with 3 chicks total from this hatch, lol. I bought two, one
day old Australorps, pullets from the feed store.

I have bad news!
hit.gif

A rotten oder was coming from the hatcher. When I checked on it one of the eggs appeared to be cracked all the way around, but the membrane was in tacked. I pulled the egg and determined that it was the source of the foul smell. Placing the egg in a Ziploc bag I did a quick eggtopsy. It was a twin quail egg. Just lost two quail in one shot... not good...

There is some better news, another of the eggs has pipped. So, there will hopefully be another quail by morning.

Another update: feeling sad still yet at peace knowing I did right by Brenna and the flock.....I got a disturbing phone call today. It was my neighbors/friends letting me know that their entire flock is sick with the flu. Oh brother! All that did was confirm the suspicion I already had I my heart. I told my hublet right after I noticed Wilson was sick,that it came from their birds. They got them at an auction. And so far,we don't think too highly of the auctions! I told my hublet that any new birds we get,will be from my friends on here whom I trust and know that they take the utmost care for their pets. They're not just food,they're family!!! He wanted to know what do for the chickens. Can you all please tell me again what to pick up for a sinus infection,cc amount (injectable),how often on dosage and for how long. In the meat or in the skin? Please help me so I can help him. There's a huge language Barrier. I have to bust out my Spanish speaking skills. But we love these people. They're just really naive to animals. They always come to me for help with their goats!!! I know goats and cats now! Chickens??? Learning learning always learning!!! I want to know what to tell him to get. I might just go get it myself. And help do the shots. I vaccinated 27 of his goats last year. Plus I need to have a stronger antibiotic on hand for my babies!!! Thank so so so much everyone for caring about me. I really want to nip this thing in the bud before we lose more birds. He lost a huge white breasted turkey. I think one reason my Wilson was able to fight hers off was due to her health. She eats well. And all of the babies and young adults are on chick starter. So their immune systems are much stronger in defending bacteria. Brenna came from his flock. I quickly realized she was sick and administered meds. But she wasn't a healthy girl to begin with. I'm medicating their water just to be safe. But if I see any more signs of this funk,I want to have what I need to destroy it on hand!!!!! Please respond asap because he's gonna go to feed store tomorrow. I was hoping to have some info. I guess I could look back through......
1f634.png
lol. Y'all are awesome!!!!! I just love y'all!
2764.png

Another update: feeling sad still yet at peace knowing I did right by Brenna and the flock.....I got a disturbing phone call today. It was my neighbors/friends letting me know that their entire flock is sick with the flu. Oh brother! All that did was confirm the suspicion I already had I my heart. I told my hublet right after I noticed Wilson was sick,that it came from their birds. They got them at an auction. And so far,we don't think too highly of the auctions! I told my hublet that any new birds we get,will be from my friends on here whom I trust and know that they take the utmost care for their pets. They're not just food,they're family!!! He wanted to know what do for the chickens. Can you all please tell me again what to pick up for a sinus infection,cc amount (injectable),how often on dosage and for how long. In the meat or in the skin? Please help me so I can help him. There's a huge language Barrier. I have to bust out my Spanish speaking skills. But we love these people. They're just really naive to animals. They always come to me for help with their goats!!! I know goats and cats now! Chickens??? Learning learning always learning!!! I want to know what to tell him to get. I might just go get it myself. And help do the shots. I vaccinated 27 of his goats last year. Plus I need to have a stronger antibiotic on hand for my babies!!! Thank so so so much everyone for caring about me. I really want to nip this thing in the bud before we lose more birds. He lost a huge white breasted turkey. I think one reason my Wilson was able to fight hers off was due to her health. She eats well. And all of the babies and young adults are on chick starter. So their immune systems are much stronger in defending bacteria. Brenna came from his flock. I quickly realized she was sick and administered meds. But she wasn't a healthy girl to begin with. I'm medicating their water just to be safe. But if I see any more signs of this funk,I want to have what I need to destroy it on hand!!!!! Please respond asap because he's gonna go to feed store tomorrow. I was hoping to have some info. I guess I could look back through......
1f634.png
2764.png

If bird flue, most likely the flock needs to be destroyed.. which is why so many were destroyed. It is contagious to humans. (I could be wrong though), however many were destroyed for carrying the bird flu.. what makes you think bird flu? Have you considered thinking it's uri?.

1f634.png
2764.png
D
Is she assuming it is the flu or has this truly been confirmed? If so, This is EXTREMELY SERIOUS. You need to go up the the CDC & USDA website and see who your contact is for the area. Most Avian Flu has been in the commercial realm and not the backyard but those who lived within a couple miles of a confirmed bird flu were threatened by putting down their flock.

You will want to burn your hen if you don't need her for a necropsy. It's highly contagious so just going to that farm you are all exposed...and with the active virus on your farm you are all exposed too.

Keep us updated on this as it is a highly critical threat to us all!

I have bad news!
hit.gif

A rotten oder was coming from the hatcher. When I checked on it one of the eggs appeared to be cracked all the way around, but the membrane was in tacked. I pulled the egg and determined that it was the source of the foul smell. Placing the egg in a Ziploc bag I did a quick eggtopsy. It was a twin quail egg. Just lost two quail in one shot... not good...

There is some better news, another of the eggs has pipped. So, there will hopefully be another quail by morning.
Don't beat yourself up too much...very few are successful at twin hatching!

Congrats on the pippers!

Back
Top Bottom