September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Looks like I am down to 1 viable egg out of 6.
Candled today (day 9) and only 1 egg has clear veining and movement. 4 had no development at all and 1 seems to have quit within the 1st week.
If it makes it to hatching, I will keep it in the house till others I have, and are due 1 week later, can join the lonely chick.

@marlene I have had that happen, too. I am so sorry... it's always disappointing. I didn't have any other eggs going when I hatched out a solo egg but luckily, our TSC was having a chick day a few days after, so I was able to get it some friends.

WE HAVE A FIRST PIP! I woke up today on day 20 (my birthday!) and there is one egg pipped! I even got to hear it chirp at me! So you guys can watch the livestream and keep me updated if you want as my computer at school has ustream blocked but not byc! Here is the link to the live stream and a picture of the pip, and what egg to watch on the live stream!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pure-...&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20160907175120

This is the link!

Update time! The 2 chicks that I had to assist with yesterday afternoon are still alive. They are pretty crusty and haven't fluffed up, so I think I'll try a warm bath later today. One I believe has wry neck so I'll get to working on that soon. The other is pretty scrawny, as is the other one. I just hope they make it! The one that had pipped upside down did not make it. It died in the egg. I really think my humidity was to blame although the hygrometer was reading accurately. 4 of 7 seemed to be pretty dry in terms of membranes. Makes me question my incubator. My Brinsea Eco Mini has been fabulous but only holds 6 eggs. Second guessing my Genesis 1588 instead of the bigger Brinsea...
idunno.gif

I had 10/10 eggs hatch that went into lockdown. 2 I had to help as they got stuck zipping. One zipped about a third and stayed like that for over 12 hrs so I carefully removed shell in what would have been the rest of the zip area. The 2nd one I helped had zipped and broke the shell all the way around but still had lots of bits of membrane joined so I broke a few of these.Humidity was 70% all through lockdown & hatch (even with opening the incubator as I steamed up the bathroom the incubator is in. The humidity never dropped).

Here are some pics of the cute fluff balls (they are Australorps, except whitey who is Australorp over an Isa Brown)

Here's my brooder set up. As they are now all out I will be moving this to the shed today (its in the house atm). The floor will be changed to something else in a couple of days once they all have their footing. There is non-slip shelf liner under the paper towel atm.

Congratulations! such cutie pies!!! great brooder too :)

Looks like I am down to 1 viable egg out of 6.
Candled today (day 9) and only 1 egg has clear veining and movement. 4 had no development at all and 1 seems to have quit within the 1st week.
If it makes it to hatching, I will keep it in the house till others I have, and are due 1 week later, can join the lonely chick.
Oh, I am so glad you have at least one that looks good. I was in exactly the same situation with my peafowl eggs. The one pea who did hatch is such a darling, and stayed in the house with me until I was able to get some chicken chicks to keep it company. Wishing you good luck with your lone chick.

Well, today is day fifteen, so I guess it is lockdown day for my sixteen little quail eggs. This is my first time with quail. The eggs are so speckled, I don't see that there is any use in trying to candle them. I will have to divide my brooder, as they will be joining three week old chicks. I hope they will be okay in the barn under a brooder lamp. I don't know how hardy quail are. Very excited, though!

Good luck to all with September hatches
smile.png

Well, today is day fifteen, so I guess it is lockdown day for my sixteen little quail eggs. This is my first time with quail. The eggs are so speckled, I don't see that there is any use in trying to candle them. I will have to divide my brooder, as they will be joining three week old chicks. I hope they will be okay in the barn under a brooder lamp. I don't know how hardy quail are. Very excited, though!

Good luck to all with September hatches
smile.png
oh yay! hope for lots of lovely babies to hatch for you
jumpy.gif

So breaking all my rules I set for myself but candled. I think from all the good luck I got almost all my babies are thriving :) but...

This one was clear when I candled it. Doesn't look fertile for day 8 does it? :/ now 15/16

Back
Top Bottom