***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

Wow this was my first time hatching Quail and i truly find it depressing lol. I hatched 25 of 40 of the eggs i got off ebay for $1. One was having problems with his head and he ran circles all the time, and one has curled up toes. Now the depressing part these little boogers are mean they have singled out and killed 5 chicks! Hopefully they will stop the remaining 20 look really healthy. On a positive not i put 48 eggs in lockdown yesterday 12 welsummer 12 golden sebright, 12 silver sebright, and 12 mystery eggs for waiting 2 weeks to get my order. Came home today to 15 chicks already out and tomorrow is day 21!

Wow, that's great!
$1.00 is pretty good!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow great idea using the bathroom for humidity! I've always just took a bowl of warm water and plenty of paper towels to soak and dab the chick with. Gonna try the bathroom method next time an emergency arises. Congrats on the successful hatch.

Quote:
Nice hatch for a dollar... Now if you have an overabundance of gold Sebrights hatch you can just send one my way to lighten your load... Lol... The gold Sebright is the only chicken my hubby said "wow that's a pretty chicken! That's my favorite!" he isn't a chicken person... He just doesn't understand the joy they bring.

Good luck with those button Quail FluffyPuffy!!! And congratulations on hatches plus good hatching vibes on the unhatched for anybody I missed while catching up on this thread.

So yesterday I had two FBCMs hatch a day early and one is still pipped this morning... Guess it decided to wait for the due date. Or maybe wants to be the last hatch in September...
The newbies are fitting in ok so far. They've learned to defend theirselves and protect their toes:
photo3-34.jpg

So, I finally hatched out all eleven BBS Orpington eggs that went into lock down. Today I got four more chicks in the mail. (Now THAT'S stressful!) I cleaned out the incubator and considered myself lucky.

So, what does my DS do, Sunday? Brings a fertile duck egg home from a friends house to put in the incubator. I didn't plan on DUCKS! I candled last night and it's developing. I haven't decided whether to be happy or eat my fingernails down to the nub...

We are hatching today!

Right now I have 3 coturnix babies hatched & two pipped. That's out of 12 eggs, 3 of which I'm pretty sure didn't develop (all eggs from the same mother).

The one that I glued is alive and well!!!!!!

ya.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

I really didn't expect that baby to make it. I "munched" the egg with the edge of the incubator lid on day 9 or 10. I pulled it out and glued it with Elmers. Then, I put two or three more layers on it later. It was a BIG munched area. You can see it in the picture below.
63147_100_2813_2.jpg

This morning I got up to two hatched babies. This one had pipped near the bottom side of the egg. After two hours of trying, he couldn't extend the pip enough to do much. I realize that normally we don't interfere for a LOT longer, but the glue line was pretty extensive and RIGHT around the area he would have zipped based on where he had pipped. Since the humidity had risen to 80% (from 50%) from the first two hatching, and since the Brinsea recovers very easily with both humidity and temp, I decided to chip away some of the glue. I pulled him out and used the nail cleaner from a finger nail cleaner and a pair of sharp tweezers to remove pieces of shell along the zip line. I don't have a spray bottle in the house that I trust to be sanitary enough to spray on a newly hatched chick, so I kept breathing moist warm air onto the membrane (how's that for creative?). I also extended the membrane tear a bit for him.

He really wanted out. He was cheeping and hollering the WHOLE TIME. That baby was LOUD.

I didn't tear the whole membrane for him but did extend the open area for a good portion of the zip line, since it was clear there was no blood. Once I had it around about 2/3 of the way, I popped the incubator lid off, added a bit of moisture to the well in case of humidity loss, and put baby back in. He was very nearly out by this time. A few minutes later and out he popped! A half hour later and he's still a noisy little guy. The third little guy to hatch -- the one still partway in the shell in the pictures -- is the miracle baby.

63147_100_2817.jpg

63147_100_2819.jpg

63147_100_2826.jpg

63147_100_2828.jpg

63147_100_2831.jpg

63147_100_2840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom