September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
2 are out!

IMG_1901.JPG

I've had pipping and hatching on day 18 before but with this batch I had 1 egg wiggle on day 20 but for the rest pipping, wiggling, and hatching didn't happen til day 21.

I definitely have 1 call duck egg with healthy vessels and movement. Two more with vessels, not as definite movement of the embryos. The pekin I am worried about...the vessels look very brush-like rather than distinct, I couldn't see movement and the shape is blobby/ shadowy. It's about 4 days ahead of the calls...so day 15. I bit the bullet and put all 4 under the hen. I opened the clear eggs and I don't think they are even fertile :(

Last update for the night.

I have 5/9 out, with 3 more zipping.

Only 1 hasn't pippied externally yet, but she's pipped internally.

My humidity was sky rocketing, so I added a rice filled sock and some paper towels and it's holding steady at 65.

Happy hatching, everyone!

IMG_1902.JPG

Last update for the night.

I have 5/9 out, with 3 more zipping.

Only 1 hasn't pippied externally yet, but she's pipped internally.

My humidity was sky rocketing, so I added a rice filled sock and some paper towels and it's holding steady at 65.

Happy hatching, everyone!

View attachment 1133495
congrats on the hatch! my fingers crossed that all 9 are out and about by tomorrow!

Well, from what I can hear, I have one more chick that's responding in it's egg, so that will make a hatch rate of 5/13 if this last one pops out by tomorrow, i'm not sure if I should give the rest of my first batch anymore time as I tapped and listened, and no cheeping at all, and if give them more time, that'd risk my second batch a lesser hatch rate than I've already laid out for them with the high humidity.

8/9 are out as of this morning.

Looks like I've got 4 pullet CCL, 1 cockerel (much better ratio than my last hatch with 3 cockerels to 2 pullets), not sure on the rest as they're not auto-sexing.

The last one is still pipped, just not zipping yet.

I'd definitely give your batch some time, just to be on the safe side. My last batch still had chicks hatching at day 22 into 23.

Not all of mine chirp in the egg. In fact, just a few do.

I get a better idea of whose still hatching and who quit by candling. I'd try that today if I were you.

I had one that I was suspicious was a quitter and candled yesterday and sure enough, no movement at all or internal pipping. Membranes looked cloudy and stiff. Blood vessels weren't as sharp. I pulled it out and cracked it and sure enough, it was dead.

I attribute that death to egg shape. It was long and skinny so I don't think the chick was able to get into position to hatch.

Hoping for some progress for y'all. I have to go into work today but I'll follow through out the day and update when I get home!

Last edited:
congrats on your hatch!

and yep, I think i'll be giving up on the first batch, only one looks like it's one day 25, the rest don't look like they made it to day 18.

another sad note, one of my live chicks, I believe my second hatcher died last night, not sure how, I think it broke it's neck in the heat pad cave, i'll have to adjust the shape of it to my "just incase this goes horribly wrong" backup design.

BUT, as I was candling all my quitters, I heard cheeping, so I frantically looked at all the eggs, then started to head towards my second batch that shouldn't even be close to day 18, then I saw one of my supposed dead eggs had a hole in it.
I kept two first batch dead eggs in hopes that I was wrong, glad I did!

Though, I had another hatch this morning, lil thing seemed semi dry, so I put it in with the others, whom are now exploring the pen.

congrats on your hatch!

and yep, I think i'll be giving up on the first batch, only one looks like it's one day 25, the rest don't look like they made it to day 18.

another sad note, one of my live chicks, I believe my second hatcher died last night, not sure how, I think it broke it's neck in the heat pad cave, i'll have to adjust the shape of it to my "just incase this goes horribly wrong" backup design.

BUT, as I was candling all my quitters, I heard cheeping, so I frantically looked at all the eggs, then started to head towards my second batch that shouldn't even be close to day 18, then I saw one of my supposed dead eggs had a hole in it.
I kept two first batch dead eggs in hopes that I was wrong, glad I did!

Though, I had another hatch this morning, lil thing seemed semi dry, so I put it in with the others, whom are now exploring the pen.

Cool, how many do you have now?

Back
Top Bottom