September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I was just checking to see who else was hatching what this month. I have some in my incubator that are due on the 24th/25th. They are eggs from my own flock.
I'm hatching some RIR and a few mixed chicks on the 17th.

congrats guys on the hatches!

I'm putting my 11 under lockdown, but one might be a dead babe, but i'll keep it in there until the rest of the batch is finished.

They didn't seem to react to the praying mantis at all, they reacted more to me freaking out it was there and trying to get it out of the brooder.

Thank you so much to both of you!! I will be going by Tractor Supply this evening and will get them some vitamins, I've never had an issue like this before. I am feeding them Dumor Turkey/Gamebird starter crumbles, which is 24% protein. I have been trying to find something with a higher protein but this is the highest I have found so far.
Game bird feed is good. Protein level is fine too.

Congratulations!

I have not been on the hatch-a-long all month, but today is day 19 for my bantam Cochins in the incubator. I am a medler, so I candled this morning. I candles 3 of 11 eggs. All 3 had internally pipped, so I did not check any more. Humidity did not drop much. About 15 minutes later I found an external pip(small crack) on an egg I had not candle. It was at the wrong end of the egg. As I watched, it pecked a bigger hole, and hit a vein. I fought myself hard, and did not intervene. (Currently in the medlers 12 step program!). I could see the blood, but prayed it stopped I took kids to school, looked in incubator (without opening!). No change. Watched fie goid 20 minutes. Took dogs to park, checked no change.... trying to stay busy, but I am drawn back often. No change all day. I am currently sitting by the incubator, looking inside between sips of wine. Happy to report
1. I still have not opened the incubator
2. Chick is alive and has strong intermittent chirps.

Who else going through medler withdrawal, and winning?
I have four internally pipped, and eight probably malpositioned from being shipped. And I'm on day 20 and I can't sleep! I keep checking on them.

I have four internally pipped, and eight probably malpositioned from being shipped. And I'm on day 20 and I can't sleep! I keep checking on them.
No changes in 24 hours. I can still hear the one who pipped at the wrong end. None of the internal pips have externally pipped. Today is day 20. I expected to see more expected pips by now. Especially with the ones that were internally pipped yesterday morning. I still have not opened the gator. My meddling instinct is in over drive though. I want to help the chick that pipped the wrong end, but I also read mal-positioned chicks usually take longer. So when do you help? I am so anxious. I have to leave for several hours today. 6 hours of torture and wonder!

No changes in 24 hours. I can still hear the one who pipped at the wrong end. None of the internal pips have externally pipped. Today is day 20. I expected to see more expected pips by now. Especially with the ones that were internally pipped yesterday morning. I still have not opened the gator. My meddling instinct is in over drive though. I want to help the chick that pipped the wrong end, but I also read mal-positioned chicks usually take longer. So when do you help? I am so anxious. I have to leave for several hours today. 6 hours of torture and wonder!

These are bantam eggs so day 20 is hatch day. But on a Happy note, after a cup of coffee, my eyes can see clearer. I have 3 new pips. Not sure if mal-positioned chick is alive or not. I hear loud chirping, but the 2 eggs next to the mal-positioned one have pipped, so I don't know which one is chirping. Either way, it is a Happy hatch day so far!

Oh and I didn't tell you this is the last batch from a staggered hatch. In one incubator! Humidity has been up and down as I had 3 batches in there. (Not on purpose, it was an emergency setting. I can explain later).

I have not been on the hatch-a-long all month, but today is day 19 for my bantam Cochins in the incubator. I am a medler, so I candled this morning. I candles 3 of 11 eggs. All 3 had internally pipped, so I did not check any more. Humidity did not drop much. About 15 minutes later I found an external pip(small crack) on an egg I had not candle. It was at the wrong end of the egg. As I watched, it pecked a bigger hole, and hit a vein. I fought myself hard, and did not intervene. (Currently in the medlers 12 step program!). I could see the blood, but prayed it stopped I took kids to school, looked in incubator (without opening!). No change. Watched fie goid 20 minutes. Took dogs to park, checked no change.... trying to stay busy, but I am drawn back often. No change all day. I am currently sitting by the incubator, looking inside between sips of wine. Happy to report
1. I still have not opened the incubator
2. Chick is alive and has strong intermittent chirps.

Who else going through medler withdrawal, and winning?
Awwww, bantam Cochins are gonna be so cute! Dang about the blood vessel on your first baby. :( Hopefully it takes some time to rest and can work its way out!

Awwww, bantam Cochins are gonna be so cute! Dang about the blood vessel on your first baby. :( Hopefully it takes some time to rest and can work its way out!
looking closely at the egg, I believe it would have bled out. I used a skewer to move the egg through a hole. I can't see beak, and it appears to have a pool of blood around the pip. The inside. See the color difference? I hope I am wrong.

Attachments

• 20170916_063809.jpg
    20170916_063809.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 5
Well, I already had to help one of the malpositioned ones. Got part of the shell off, and wrapped in a moist paper towel. I had three externally pip and the malpositioned one was so tight up against the shell-had to help, the outer layer was turning brown by it's beak. Hope she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom