September Hatch-A-Long

I just put some 12 Quail eggs in the incubator! Fingers crossed they're fertile, the male only started crowing a few weeks ago. This is my first time hatching Quail eggs so I'm very excited!! :3
:fl

chick hatching.gif

Best wishes for a great hatch!

Quick question, what's the average age for pullets that roosters actually show interest? I have a 13 week old barred rock girl that'll start laying in October hopefully. I only have one, so I want to hatch out some variant of the breed.

Quick question, what's the average age for pullets that roosters actually show interest? I have a 13 week old barred rock girl that'll start laying in October hopefully. I only have one, so I want to hatch out some variant of the breed.

Most hens don't start laying eggs until they are 22 weeks old. Whenever she starts laying eggs, they will be pretty small. I'd wait until they were a bit bigger before trying to hatch any. Keep an eye on her, and get to know what type of egg that she lays. You can always crack her's open to check for fertility before you try to hatch out any from her.

Did any of the other ones hatch yet?

Sadly the other 6 did not hatch.
The 6 who did are doing great. I thought one had pasty butt but discovered it doesn't. He has what seems to be a big scab on his bum, but is pooping and acting fine. I did some googling and assume its rough navel. I can't wait to see what colors they'll be!

Well, when my 7 chicks hatched out on Friday, I still had 4 more eggs left. I left those 4 eggs in the incubator, and another chick just hatched out yesterday. So, that's now 8 out of the 11 eggs that made it to lock-down that have hatched. I ended up with 4 Blues, 3 Blacks, and 1 Splash.
Ameraucana?

Back
Top Bottom