September Hatch-a-long!

When I've had power go out, I put socks full of rice in the incubator to keep the temp up. Id fill 2 socks with uncooked rice and microwave one for like 1min and put it in. When the temp started droppling I'd swap it for the other one. I put my winter coat on the incubator for insulation too .Pain in the butt, works though!

Yes, but if the electric goes out the microwave won't work. I have something I put over the top of it to help hold the heat in.

I'd help you hatch those NN/Dorking one's, but you live too far away! :hit
Well I drove about 70 miles up valley to retrieve the dorking rooster.... I guess a road trip to your house might be just a tad farther..... most days my comfort zone is about 30 miles from home.
We will see what hatches...... provided the goody things lay enough eggs to set any.

Well I drove about 70 miles up valley to retrieve the dorking rooster.... I guess a road trip to your house might be just a tad farther..... most days my comfort zone is about 30 miles from home.
We will see what hatches...... provided the goody things lay enough eggs to set any.

Well, if you want any nn/breese mixed ones, maybe we could trade. I already hatched out some recently, and my roo is still in there with my hen's so I also have some fertile eggs that would be ready for you if you wanted some of those too.

Well, if you want any nn/breese mixed ones, maybe we could trade. I already hatched out some recently, and my roo is still in there with my hen's so I also have some fertile eggs that would be ready for you if you wanted some of those too.
I think there is a reason we do not live any closer, we may be enablers for each other...... I Do want some.....mmmm

I do think that you may be right about that! :lau Charley is my roo shown in my avatar.
Wow! I have always had a soft spot for a good Nn. My Dd has decided that she wants to breed a few to show at next years county fair, she did well with the 2 she took this year. I am working twords breeding better birds not just so-so birds. But I also want some Good dual purpose so when its time to eat the roos we don't go hungry.
I did spend some time dreaming about the bresse..... but didn't have any luck finding any close enough to get my hands on lol. Story of my life live in the middle of the mountains not many Good birds within a reasonable distance, and I have had poor luck with shipped eggs

Sorry I forgot it was the actual incubator that shut down, not the house power, I'm sooo helpful lol! I just ordered some more Breese and Mosaic eggs for my last batch, I hope they hatch good. Because my husband just grounded me from egg auctions hahaha

Sorry I forgot it was the actual incubator that shut down, not the house power, I'm sooo helpful lol! I just ordered some more Breese and Mosaic eggs for my last batch, I hope they hatch good. Because my husband just grounded me from egg auctions hahaha

That's ok. As I say; Nobody is perfect, not even me! :gig The power didn't go out, but the rain from Hurricane Rosa isn't done with us. It is supposed to be just a tropical storm by the time it reaches land.

I hope that you will get a good hatch rate on the Breese eggs. My Breese pullets should start laying in another month a think.

Edit: Made a mistake. It was my Breese pullets that started to lay a couple of weeks ago. It's some of my mixes that should start laying next month.

Last edited:
6879AE7A-E8EE-4B65-A20F-D6A696F871F4.jpeg Woke up to this little thing! Definitely a NN but with a white bottom and white whispies on its wings. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it gets all feathered out.

Have a pip in my green egg as of last night but not much progress since then.

Back
Top Bottom