Septic Arthritis-Duck

Svogtxx1

Hatching
Jun 20, 2021
Has anyone ever had a duck with septic arthritis? I thought mine had bumblefoot but $650 in and the vet is saying septic arthritis. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and advice. Thanks!

I would follow your vet's advice given they are familiar with the case, and have physically examined the duck.
In the latter stages, septic arthritis can be difficult to treat, especially if it penetrates deep into the bone tissue, which can affect the penetration ability of the antibiotic thus requiring additional surgical lavaging.
If she thinks it has not yet developed into anything severe, a broad antibiotic would be your best bet.
Along with antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories you should be attempting to keep the bird on soft grounds, and letting it swim in deep water regularly to help prevent the legs from becoming atrophic.
If you see no improvement after that, I suggest mentioning FNA (fine needle aspiration) to the vet, and see if they can withdraw some fluids from the joint. The fluids can be later sent in for culture, and sensitivity, or/ and for cytological examantion.
I have performed this on a few of the birds here, and it allows deeper insight to exactly what going on underneath the tissue, and how to better proceed with the case.

Back
Top Bottom