Serama Bantam My first house chicken

She's a tiny cutie!

How about one of those all in one containers for cat grass (just add water and it grows) - or make one yourself. She would then be able to scratch in the soil and eat some greens. You could also grow some micro greens for her in a tray of dirt.

We used to have a part-time house chicken in the late 50's (guess I'm dating myself
hide.gif
) only she was a full size red hen named Martha. I remember that she laid eggs behind the sofa. I was too young to know how we dealt with the poop though.

Last edited:
I just can't get enough of my Seramas... 8 weeks old.. I have them in a rabbit cage right now, and my wife and I take them outside during the warm day time, and at night we run all the cats and dogs out of our bed room, pull out an old blanket (that we wash about every day) and have chicken romper room.. they are a blast!

67636_truffles.jpg

Gee, thanks for all the good ideas for play time and the cat grass idea is great, She is in all day cause it's to cold to play outside, she can't take temp's below 40 degrees. T:)he chicken romper room is funny, I'm thinking about getting her a mate, I'll talk to the breeder and when the weather clears up a bit we can always drive over to California.
14259_ity_bity_tree_planting_006.jpg

Last edited:
She is SSOO cute. I wish i could have one but my dad said no more chickens. I am like we ONLY have 19, what's 2 more.

If you get a roo, or if it is young.. they have a VERY funny crow... here is my little 8 week old crowing his butt feathers off. The video is dark, but the audio is great. It didn't help to have a computer monitor in the back ground as well.

Baralak

All but two of my chickens are Serama cross breeds. Two of them weigh only around a pound, with the rest slightly larger, around 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 pounds. They all live happily outdoors, though. Even though they're small, they're definitely chickens, not parrots. They enjoy scratching, catching bugs, and the other usual chicken activities.

Our winters are mild, but when the temp drops down to freezing at night I do provide a bit of supplemental heat. Last winter, we did have some days when the temperature stayed in the 20's, but my bantams didn't mind it one bit. They were out in their run acting as they usually do. Of course, they had been gradually acclimated to the temperature; I'd never take a house chicken and put her right outside into winter cold.

When you keep a bird indoors without regular access to direct sunlight, you do need to provide supplemental vitamin D. We do this for our indoor doves and parrots.

I'd love to keep her in the hen house with my two Bantams but she's fearless and started to fight with my Bantam Cochin, she was jumping up and down at her with her wings spread, she could hardly reach, she's so tiny. It was kinda funny, I took her back in the house. She is staying in front of a bright window with direct sun. Tomorrow I'll take her out on the grass in a covered play pen and let her pick around under my supervision of course. I never thought about Vit D, that's a thought.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, SO very adorable! Where can I find a pair of Seramas for me?? I looked online and all the breeders that I found are in the UK...which is very ironic because I am currently sitting here in Burgess Hill, England on business. But I figure there is no way I could smuggle chickens through customs on my way home! Please, any advice on where to find a nice pair or some chicks in the States?

Quote:
Very good question.. We have a sliding patio door that we put the cage in front of during the daytime when it is cold. when it is warm we put it outside in a little run so that they can get some one on one bug eating time... Temps here have been too cool for the past few days, so I give them some chopped hay to scratch around on.

Back
Top Bottom