Serama chick cold, stiff on wet ground...now chirping!!

clhbubba

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Oklahoma
One of my Serama hens was sittiing on three eggs. Last night we noticed a little head peeping out from under her. Once they hatch we always put them and Mom in our storage room for warmth and safety. Thinking I would be moving Mama and three chicks this morning, I was devistated to walk out there in the rain and find the hatched baby stretched out stiff on the cold wet ground. When I picked it up it moved. I heated some towels up and a barley sock and within about 45 minutes the near dead chick was upright and chirping!!!! I just went through this with a duckling about 3 weeks ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she does alright. The hen was off the other two eggs so I put them under another hen that is sitting. Hopefully they'll still hatch, not too hopefull on that one. I've got one hen that hatched one chick yesterday, I may have to swipe that chick from her to keep this one company. I cannot put this one with her because she is a standard size chicken and I tried that once and the chicks just were too small for her not to accidentally keep stepping on them. Ugh! If it's not one thing it's another around here lately!!

AWW poor baby! I'm so happy you found it in time. Pictures would be so awesome
fl.gif

Im so glad you saved it! Ive heard of people putting chilled wet chicks in the oven before and having them recover. Im going to have to look it up again....i think my toaster oven is just the right size.....hmmmmm...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom