Serama chicks died

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So every time I’ve ever had serama chicks, they’ve all passed away. They just seem to drop dead. First time was some were being raised by my silkie. This time I tried raising in a brooder.
I’ve never lost any other chicks before, so I don’t know what’s causing this. Any help?

I’m sorry for your loss, that sucks. How old are they when you lose them?

I find Silkies to be far more fragile than Serama. Although, easier to hatch. Guess I’ll see, the 7-8 week old Serama have been out in their coop for a week with 4 of their large fowl brooder mates. (With a 150w heat lamp at night)

I’m sorry for your loss, that sucks. How old are they when you lose them?

I find Silkies to be far more fragile than Serama. Although, easier to hatch. Guess I’ll see, the 7-8 week old Serama have been out in their coop for a week with 4 of their large fowl brooder mates. (With a 150w heat lamp at night)
They only get to a week old it seems. I’ve raised silkie chicks and didn’t loose any, Only Seramas.

How frustrating. I’ve only lost one chick (knock on wood!), so I am not much help. I think the chick I lost either wasn’t thriving, or maybe it got chilled and didn’t bounce back. Mostly mine have been easy so far.

I added Nutri-drench to their first bowl of water, and then a couple times a week for the first few weeks. If any of them looked behind the rest, I gave a little Nutri-drench straight. I made them a little bit of scrambled eggs once or twice a week, in addition to their regular food. I fed medicated chick crumble, but I did moisten it at first. I got tired of them covering themselves in it, so I didn’t moisten for long.

I hope someone chimes in with something helpful for you. I hope you have better luck with your next batch.

There are breed specific health issues with seramas, due to their tiny size and rampant inbreeding to maintain said size.
I get them from a friend and none have been inbreed. And No one else has problems with them.
I have a trio that I’m hoping to hatch their eggs and see if it’s all Seramas I’m having problems with or hers. Crossing my fingers!

Back
Top Bottom